• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reel recommendations

You can't fault anything in this range, from the Ds, OCs and Thunnus.
I still think the 4000 OC has a shite line clip Jon but that aside I LOVE using mine šŸ‘

I still think the 4000 OC has a shite line clip Jon but that aside I LOVE using mine šŸ‘
They all do Bill. Crappy little plastic thing.

The Thing is they are salt water reels for live baiting and spinning where the line clip would nearly always just sit on the spool completed unused.

Donā€™t they do baby big pits anymore? When I used to fish the TT they were a great reel for casting and cranking big weights with Quick drag on front

Another vote for the Okumas - I use 6000 inc (non Baitrunners) on my C3 rods. I sold a set of Ci4 Shimanos to make way for them and I prefer the Okumas.

My fishing mate has now bought 2 as well. His 6000 Shimanos have been relegatedā€¦..

Okuma inception 6000ā€™s for me, they donā€™t have a baitrunner but the quid drag is perfect out of the box. Wide metal lipped spool, metal line clip, light, smooth, good retrieve. I bought a couple to try after a load of recommendations from the carp boys using them on lighter setups, and two seasons later Iā€™ve sold my SS2600ā€™s, Emblems and Baitrunners and now have 6 of the Okumas.

Okuma inception 6000ā€™s for me, they donā€™t have a baitrunner but the quid drag is perfect out of the box. Wide metal lipped spool, metal line clip, light, smooth, good retrieve. I bought a couple to try after a load of recommendations from the carp boys using them on lighter setups, and two seasons later Iā€™ve sold my SS2600ā€™s, Emblems and Baitrunners and now have 6 of the Okumas.
You trump me; Iā€™ve only got 4.

Are the okuma 6000c a suitable size for smaller rod set ups ie 11ft 1.75 tc rods hants avon river
Iā€™d say they are a bit big.

Ive just invested in a single, light 11ft 1.75 rod for my local fishing and am trying a small light reel (XR 5000). I might end up using a 4000 fighting drag reel - my old favourite. Both smaller/lighter than the 6000 inc.

Are the okuma 6000c a suitable size for smaller rod set ups ie 11ft 1.75 tc rods hants avon river
Last season I used Okuma 4000 dyna drags on 1.25/1.5 tc rods throwing 40-50g feeders on the Swale so 25-30 yards
Briliant reels for the money- plenty of fish and casting and clutch was excellent- perhaps a bit slower on retrieve than the OCs
Got the usual close-season boredom and bought the 4000ocs off members on here and am delighted with them , but would have been more than happy to have continued with the Okumas

So I am fishing the Trent with a pair of 2.75 powermesh rods casting 5oz+ leads and want a decent pair of baitrunner reels
I was considering shimano 6000 or 8000 oc reels is there much difference between them ?
Will the 6000 do or should I go for the 8000?
Or is there something else I should consider

Tia
If you cant stretch to Castizm BR25As take a look at the Emblem BR25As - identical body / spool size / front drag / cranking power; the only real differences are no mag seal and spare spool. I have two pairs of these on both barbel set ups (12' 2.25 & 13' 2.75 Shark rods) - and another on my 10' spomb/spopper rod - perfect tools for the job IMO. Check the used market - you can usually pick up 2/3 at a decent price

Back