• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reel line for the forthcoming season

I also fish the rocky Trent and have been using Sufix synergy in 15ibs for a while now.Having used several different quality brands this line suits my needs the best,good knot strength,little memory and extremely good abrasion resistance.I have landed some good fish even after having been dragged through rocks,sometimes the line has been damaged and frayed but normally it has held.

I second this endorsement of Sufix Synergy - it's on my fixed-spools and is an excellent line (in 12lb, in my case, though I'd be tempted to go lower when matched to a lighter rod). Anyway, brilliant for all the reasons Steve mentioned.

I think that the Catana has been discontinued...

Having been impressed with Gold Label Proclear for my tench/carp fishing, I have spooled up with GLT Protough. Anybody tried this?

My preliminary "garage" tests suggest that I am on to a winner....

'I did a good bit of research and then tried a line called Profish Ghostline. It is awesome. Not easy to get hold of but well worth it'. Just bought some in 11 lb,i hope its as good as you say Andrew, saw some crazy independent reviews on its abrasion / diameter/strength a couple of years ago, it was not just better than any other line tested it was something like 20 times better than any other line,never tried before so lets see,and its very reasonable/cheap if you use a pin

Depends how its stored Steve.....

Quite surprised by this thread as in 'reel line' threads of old more than half the posts would have involved Big Game! Still my number one choice although I did flirt with Subline. Interested in the Hydrotuff it's just a shame they don't do a clear option.

Wouldn't touch hydrotuff, ordered some as the excellent gr60/80 had served me well. But it seemed to break off very easy. After a discussion with the rep he quite rudely suggested my knots were below par. I spent a minimum of twenty minutes telling him I'd used Gardner line over numerous years and had no problems with my knots with that line. I may only be 5ft1 and almost 8 stone but I would have given this idiot a bloody good run for his money.

Sticking with 10lb Big Game Green (USA)

For me the best lines above 6lb is pro gold or pro clear. Never found anything better than these two. Otherwise for lower breaking strain and legering I use diawa sensor or maxima, float fishing with drennans float fish. Pro gold or pro clear in the larger strains is simply brilliant - knot strength, abrasion resistance and suppleness, it has it all.

Hi Bill, do you think the green performs better than the clear?

Sorry for delay Lewis, I've been fishing' :D

Can't comment I'm afraid as I've never used the clear...I've been using the green 10 for the past 3 years or so and am quite happy with it's characteristics. As they say "if it's not broken don't fix it" so 'till it lets me down I'll stick with it.
:D

Apologies for dredging up an old post, but a couple of members mentioned that they were going to try diawa sensor hydro line, and i was just wondering if they have any feedback on it?

Many Thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen, i got some 12lb, tested in the shed and broke at 16lb :), the line feels very smooth and limp, tied a hook on, hooked it round a nail, the hook straightened before the line gave. Ive now ordered some 5lb and 8lb. Its £12.99 in the tackle shops, but i got mine online from here for £10.00 a spool,couple of quid postage, but if your getting a few spools its not bad. hope this helps a bit. :)

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/daiwa-hyper-sensor-p-551810.html?gclid=CMLyz8f4874CFQvItAodCicA4w

Hi Stephen, i got some 12lb, tested in the shed and broke at 16lb :), the line feels very smooth and limp, tied a hook on, hooked it round a nail, the hook straightened before the line gave. Ive now ordered some 5lb and 8lb. Its £12.99 in the tackle shops, but i got mine online from here for £10.00 a spool,couple of quid postage, but if your getting a few spools its not bad. hope this helps a bit. :)

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/daiwa-hyper-sensor-p-551810.html?gclid=CMLyz8f4874CFQvItAodCicA4w

Hi Derek, really appreciate the reply. I'll buy a couple of spools and give it a go, did the diameter look less as claimed? (don't expect you to get a micrometer thingy out or anything) :D

Thanks
Stephen

Back