• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reel line for the forthcoming season

Matthew Thomas

After a two year( maybe 3?) lay off from our wonderful sport I am now ready to fling a pellet or two into the mighty Trent in pursuit of our beloved Barbus Barbus.

So my rods and reels will be dusted down cleaned and oiled( nowt wrong with Harrison and my trusty Free Spirits , new bait bought and maybe a packet or two of hooks for good measure.

My question is about reel line.......

For my last few years I used Krystonite in 12lbs and never had any issues with it that others seemed to have,before that the usual suspects of maxima/ GR60 /Daiwa sensor etc

So is there a new wonder line that's out now that's as thin as spider web and stronger than steel (no braid please,been there done that)

I fish(ed) the Trent so abrasion resistence is a must plus being a fairly good diameter to strength as sometimes I have to chuck a fair distance with a big feeder

Thanks all in advance
Matt(formerly Mattzzzzzz)

I also fish the rocky Trent and have been using Sufix synergy in 15ibs for a while now.Having used several different quality brands this line suits my needs the best,good knot strength,little memory and extremely good abrasion resistance.I have landed some good fish even after having been dragged through rocks,sometimes the line has been damaged and frayed but normally it has held.

Tried that krystonite a while back and thought it was dreadful, had zero abrasion resistance, spools were half empty after a couple of months I was stripping that much off it.

Been using 10lb shimano catana last few years, good strong line which breaks much higher than the stated test but with the same low diameter as other 10lb lines.

I changed from sensor to pro gold. Better in every respect apart from it being slightly more springy. That said I hardly notice anymore. Super line. I have every confidence in it which is what its about.

I will never use krysonite ever again. Kept on snapping on a lower Severn mark I fished in 15lbs fishing for cod at the time in a rocky part of the channel

For beards I highly recommend GR60/80. I generally use it in 10lb.

Matthew,
You will get different opinions from various anglers regarding line properties. I have tried the ones you mention and more - tested quite a few as well.
Found that Shimano Catana and Gardner HydroTuff as worth a look.
In the lower breaking strains have found Shimano Speedmaster very good.
Cheers
Bob

Hi men,

Hi Matt , nice to see you back fella . Lots of Trent anglers on here will tell you what they are on! . Personally it's GR60 all day long , on my carp stuff as well !.

Hatter

I have heard that Daiwa have a fairly new sensor line on offer, don't know if its the original sensor re-branded, or entirely new line.? I quite liked sensor in 12lb or less, for the price anyway.

Stephen

Cheers Guys, will look into some of the brands, it's been a while so I'm well out of sorts with any new gear that's come along.

Hatter(Mark) glad to be back,I don't think either me or Jas will be doing the kind of Sessions we used to now that I have a toddler and he's into his cycling but we have made some plans to get out a bit in the evenings- you will be too busy with Luton now they are back in the League !
Hope you and Sue are ok

Cheers Matt

I did a good bit of research and then tried a line called Profish Ghostline. It is awesome. Not easy to get hold of but well worth it.

I'll likely try the new Diawa Hyper Sensor the next time I buy a mono bulk spool.

Otherwise, I bet there will be some votes for Big Game (made in the U.S.A.) coming along shortly?

Stephen

I,m waiting on a spool of the new diawa hyper sensor ( 12lb ) to be delivered. :) Supposedly thinner for its b.s. than the old sensor which i used. :)

Tried that krystonite a while back and thought it was dreadful, had zero abrasion resistance, spools were half empty after a couple of months I was stripping that much off it.

Been using 10lb shimano catana last few years, good strong line which breaks much higher than the stated test but with the same low diameter as other 10lb lines.

That's 'cos of all the otters nibbling at it Rhys :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back