• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New record 'claimed' on Facebook

Paul Dowgill

Just got back having had one fish to find a FB post of a fish 6x bigger at 24lb being claimed - poor picture at best and allegedly from the Severn...I'm saying nowt....its on Barbel Fishing UK

Yeah, he's got the old Inspector Gadget telescopic arms thing going on there. If he held it any further away from him it'd be in the next county.

I agree John, very powerful shoulders on it. However, with a photo like that + the ludicrous way he is holding it, he won't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting any claim he may make accepted, whatever the actual size is. Shame, because it would have been great to know if it really was a new record. My guess would be mid to high teens, but guessing the weight of a fish from a photo is notoriously difficult...and with a pic like that it's next to impossible.

Cheers, Dave.

I first saw this photo on the Barbel Society's Facebook page. I'm not supposed to be able to look or post but of course I can.

I smiled when the BS chairman congratulated the guy on his capture. But not so surprised when the photo and resulting thread was pulled later on.

I first saw this photo on the Barbel Society's Facebook page. I'm not supposed to be able to look or post but of course I can.

I smiled when the BS chairman congratulated the guy on his capture. But not so surprised when the photo and resulting thread was pulled later on.

As I recall this hit all the barbel devoted Facebook pages which of course ignited all manner of responses ranging from outright derision to cautious congratulations. I think the Chairman's response was in the latter category expressing excitement at seeing more pictures of the historic capture. I would say that is a more mature approach, giving the chap a chance to support his claim whilst being suitably sceptical until the claim had been fully validated.

It actually did not reach all the FB barbel devoted pages Howard. I'm a member of quite a few and it did not reach half of those. Whats a cautious congratulation? Rather sounds like an insincere congratulation to me. But I'll go with what I read which simply said congratulations. I can only go on what was said not an interpretation of it.

From the outset it was obvious the photo was a wind up. I have no idea why it was done but it certainly seemed to have got his nibbs thats for sure.

Bit like the Seven Miles from Stoke prank that got a certain gentleman driving through the night to be a witness of a so called record fish that never was.

Its always good to keep a sense of humour about such things Howard and that one never fails to have me in stitches.

It actually did not reach all the FB barbel devoted pages Howard. I'm a member of quite a few and it did not reach half of those. Whats a cautious congratulation? Rather sounds like an insincere congratulation to me. But I'll go with what I read which simply said congratulations. I can only go on what was said not an interpretation of it.

From the outset it was obvious the photo was a wind up. I have no idea why it was done but it certainly seemed to have got his nibbs thats for sure.

Bit like the Seven Miles from Stoke prank that got a certain gentleman driving through the night to be a witness of a so called record fish that never was.

Its always good to keep a sense of humour about such things Howard and that one never fails to have me in stitches.

What prank is that?

No dout a good fish by any means, and if it were a record fish of 24 lbs he would nt disclose it, he defo got a few bites on this one, lol

Back