• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New old line

Dan Whitelock

While rooting around the shed, I found a brand new bulk spool of Gr80 in my favourite breaking strain. It's still in the little tub so hasn't been exposed to sunlight or anything. Still feels and looks perfect. Haven't tested it on my scales as I don't want to knacker my scales with the sharp spring back when it breaks.
Is it likely to still be good to use? It took some pulling against the table to break. The mark on the spool is 2009 so it's not young, and still has the much more desirable 2009 price on it too!
Cheers,
Dan

While rooting around the shed, I found a brand new bulk spool of Gr80 in my favourite breaking strain. It's still in the little tub so hasn't been exposed to sunlight or anything. Still feels and looks perfect. Haven't tested it on my scales as I don't want to knacker my scales with the sharp spring back when it breaks.
Is it likely to still be good to use? It took some pulling against the table to break. The mark on the spool is 2009 so it's not young, and still has the much more desirable 2009 price on it too!
Cheers,
Dan

It'll be trashed Dan, send it to me and i'll recycle it :)

If you want to test the bs without twanging the scales, wrap some line round a bucket handle & a handy support for the other end. I use a beam in the garage & wrap line around a big nail hammered in it. Slowly fill bucket with water until it breaks - weigh the bucket. It makes less mess if the bucket is only a couple of inches off the floor & you don`t do it in the kitchen!
If you do say 3 times you`ll have a reasonable idea of actual bs.

I have had some gr60 on my carp stalking reels for about 4yrs now...and half the spool still left to use - it still looks perfect to me and certainly didn't break easily when recently snagged up and had to pull for a break . I would have no hesitation in using and I do sometimes wonder on the ' advice' offered by manufacturers regarding how often we should renew etc
I think common sense should prevail...if you think okay and won't knock your confidence use it.

I reckon it should be absolutely fine Dan.

So long as it has been kept out of the light and reasonably air tight (within reason) and extremes of temperature you shouldn't have any problems.

I've recently been using some 15 year old+ 3lb Maxima for float fishing (I inherited from my old man) - it's been stored well and it's fine.

I'm still using some 10 & 12lb Big Game which I bought in about 2006! its been kept in a drawer in the dark, and nice and constant temp..i cant break it by pulling for a break with a rod.......

new line stored in dark place away from heat and sunlight should be ok Dan,
either way if you test your hook links before using you,ll soon know one way or another, hook up and give it a good hard pull,:)

Thanks chaps..... my gut feeling is that it'll be tiggerty boo, just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to ensue on a massive line faux pas!

strech your horizons

tie one end to todger and tuther to a six ounce lead drop lead of tall building and see what gives first! wont help with the breaking strain but will give some a good laugh!:eek:

The answer is simple. If you hook a fish on it, play it for ten minutes and then loose it at the net because the line snaps....AND it was clearly the fish of a lifetime, then you should have binned it. Otherwise, it's fine :D

Cheers, Dave.

tie one end to todger and tuther to a six ounce lead drop lead of tall building and see what gives first! wont help with the breaking strain but will give some a good laugh!:eek:

Mark, please think of the possible consequences of this irresponsible action. There could be a little old lady walking by who hasn't even seen a todger for many, many years. She hears the bloke screaming in agony, so looks up....and sees one hurtling towards her like manna from heaven. She catches it and shrieks in triumph...and is then instantly killed by a six ounce lead. Have you no heart?

Cheers, Dave.

Mark, please think of the possible consequences of this irresponsible action. There could be a little old lady walking by who hasn't even seen a todger for many, many years. She hears the bloke screaming in agony, so looks up....and sees one hurtling towards her like manna from heaven. She catches it and shrieks in triumph...and is then instantly killed by a six ounce lead. Have you no heart?

Cheers, Dave.

The laws of Physics suggest that the lead would precede the trailing member, so she's likely to have a headache anyway by the time it arrives, sound familiar ??? :D

That's funny. I've just found a brand new spool of GR60 in 12lb in a drawer in my shed and again, whilst it's a good few years old, I have no issues with loading this on my spare spools for the coming season. It seems fine and is as if new.

The laws of Physics suggest that the lead would precede the trailing member, so she's likely to have a headache anyway by the time it arrives, sound familiar ??? :D

Not if the said member was adorned with a 7oz Prince Albert (as is the norm in some parts of Lancs). Just shows how important it is to always used balanced tackle...

The acknowledged experts on these matters must surely be the Prince Albert Angling Society . I would speak to them,:) they will have all the answers I am sure

Back