• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Craig Lea

Senior Member & Supporter
Morning, I’ve just joined the site , and was hoping for a little help .
I’ve been a match angler for 25/30 and have decided I want a more enjoyable way to fish . I live between Bristol and Bath , so got the Bristol Avon around me . I’ve got myself everything I think I need to fish , just after some advice on where to fish , and what baits to use . Thank you .

Welcome Craig, I'm sure there will be someone along soon to help :)

Morning, I’ve just joined the site , and was hoping for a little help .
I’ve been a match angler for 25/30 and have decided I want a more enjoyable way to fish . I live between Bristol and Bath , so got the Bristol Avon around me . I’ve got myself everything I think I need to fish , just after some advice on where to fish , and what baits to use . Thank you .
Hi Craig. Welcome to the forum. You'll get some great advice on here. Sadly I can't help to answer your specific query as I live in Norfolk, but bait wise I rely on halibut pellets and luncheon meat. They tend to be my "go to" baits 👍

Hi Craig. Welcome to the forum. You'll get some great advice on here. Sadly I can't help to answer your specific query as I live in Norfolk, but bait wise I rely on halibut pellets and luncheon meat. They tend to be my "go to" baits 👍
Thanks Paul . 👍🏼

Hi Craig. Welcome I used to live in Bristol and fished Saltford Keynsham and Bath etc. That was many years ago but you have a lot of potential for some great Avon fishing. Keynsham weir as an example I would feeder fish with say a 2/3 ounce tip maggot feeder set up and just see what happens. Barbel are in short numbers so probably not worth solely targeting.
I loved fishing the Chew at Keynsham, and there have been Barbel stocked there the last few years ...but it offers so much more incl trout.
Your one lucky guy.

Hi Craig. Welcome I used to live in Bristol and fished Saltford Keynsham and Bath etc. That was many years ago but you have a lot of potential for some great Avon fishing. Keynsham weir as an example I would feeder fish with say a 2/3 ounce tip maggot feeder set up and just see what happens. Barbel are in short numbers so probably not worth solely targeting.
I loved fishing the Chew at Keynsham, and there have been Barbel stocked there the last few years ...but it offers so much more incl trout.
Your one lucky guy.
Thanks Neil , I fished the chew as a youngster and caught cracking roach . I was thinking about lacock, avoncliffe, those sort of stretches. But I don’t know what’s good or bad . Thanks buddy

Hi Craig,
Welcome to BFW.
Lived in and around the Bristol area all my life and fished most local rivers and lakes from a early age.
Used to sea fish from boat and shore.
Cheers
Bob

Thanks Neil , I fished the chew as a youngster and caught cracking roach . I was thinking about lacock, avoncliffe, those sort of stretches. But I don’t know what’s good or bad . Thanks buddy
Latterly lived in Tetbury, upper Avon fished Chippenham, Malmesbury, and all the bits inbetween. Lacock used to be Barbel Mecca but as is the way not so now...but a nice stretch above and below the bridge, but busy in Summer and parking expensive. If Chippenham A.C still going that would be a good ticket, they have some good stretches of typical middle Avon that still holds good Chub and if your lucky Barbel. The town stretch in Chippenham used to be as good as anywhere, streamer weed the lot, and a chunk of further free fishing above the Town.
Bristol Almagamated I am sure you know, and have a lot of waters incl Tockingham lake which is brilliant.
I am not clued up best places to fish just rely on old memories now (sad)....that Bob Gill is the man to guide you, apparently we used to fish ON the weir at Saltford together as kids when you could...huge Roach on the silt weed, in case you dont know he is a master rod builder (ret'd). 👍

Latterly lived in Tetbury, upper Avon fished Chippenham, Malmesbury, and all the bits inbetween. Lacock used to be Barbel Mecca but as is the way not so now...but a nice stretch above and below the bridge, but busy in Summer and parking expensive. If Chippenham A.C still going that would be a good ticket, they have some good stretches of typical middle Avon that still holds good Chub and if your lucky Barbel. The town stretch in Chippenham used to be as good as anywhere, streamer weed the lot, and a chunk of further free fishing above the Town.
Bristol Almagamated I am sure you know, and have a lot of waters incl Tockingham lake which is brilliant.
I am not clued up best places to fish just rely on old memories now (sad)....that Bob Gill is the man to guide you, apparently we used to fish ON the weir at Saltford together as kids when you could...huge Roach on the silt weed, in case you dont know he is a master rod builder (ret'd). 👍
I’m going to give lacock / avoncliffe a go first day , travel light and cover a bit of the river . Hopefully I’ll catch , most likely a greedy chub . Thank you for your info , tight lines to you all .

Welcome Craig, like you say Lacock and keep on the move with pellets you should find chub. There are barbel but you might have to be patient. Hoping to get over that way myself on Saturday. Good luck.

Back