• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new member signing in!

Hi all,
Haven't seen many new threads by new members so not sure what the crack is so I'll keep this brief.
Names Jack from south cumbria and am a big barbel fan, which poses a bit of a problem as the nearest barbel river (ribble) is an hour and a half away.
Haven't been on the barbel yet this season as I've been trying to target big roach on windermere, but am heading down to the Severn for a week last week in September.

Can't wait as it's the first time i've been on the Severn, might try and get a look on the Teme as well if we have time, looks like a nice river on photo's.

Cheers
Jack

Hi Jack, welcome to the site, happy hunting. A big piece of water to go roach hunting - Windermere! A lot easier on the Ribble for barbel. Its worth the 90min drive, saying that any fishing is worth the drive isnt it;)

Come to the Teme...the Severn is a mighty fine river, but the Teme is just the best river around.....

Hi men ,

Got to agree as well . Me and sue are over that way for a break in a cottage at that time , dog spike and rope needed though jack.

Hatter

We're moving from the machete weather, to the dog stake weather down on the Teme. Ground been too hard most of summer to get a dog stake in the ground and hopefully the balsam will start to die back enough now to get to a swim without a machete. Fishing the Teme can often be more like a combined mountaineering and jungle expedition sometimes. But it is worth it.
Saying that, I'm off for some easy pickings on the Wye this weekend.

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum.
you will find a generally helpful bunch on here but it does occasionally deteriorate into hissyfits (fortunately) and can be quite amusing. I generally fish the Royalty these days or the Stour down in Dorset. If you're ever down this way, give me a shout and i'll try to put you on some fish.

Regards,

Jeff

Welcome, Jack! Hope you enjoy it here.

The Teme is definately beautiful, though if you are driving all that way, the Wye and the Severn have the advantage in that you can also catch barbel ;):D

Know what you mean with the windermere thing - Huge water and very hit and miss - the mind boggles what might be in there though and all the roach you catch are a descent size...2lb6 biggest so far but hopefully a 3 will be on the way this winter!

Cheers for all the feedback fella's! I'm definately going for a session on the Teme after reading all that. Problem is the trip's bassed around my brothers 40th and he's a bit of a numbers man so keeps banding on about Hampton Load on the Severn, I'd rather sit it out and wait for a biggy!!
Anyway we'll see how it goes and I'll keep you posted.
:D

Cheers for all the feedback fella's! I'm definately going for a session on the Teme after reading all that. Problem is the trip's bassed around my brothers 40th and he's a bit of a numbers man so keeps banding on about Hampton Load on the Severn, I'd rather sit it out and wait for a biggy!!
Anyway we'll see how it goes and I'll keep you posted.
:D

Throw in the Wye as well then :)

Back