• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New home page picture

Mike Hodgkiss

Well done to Michelle Thompson for breaking the river Nidd record , what a beauty , a special fish from a special little river :D

Yes well done Michelle congrats on your river record lovely fish......

I have to say that I find some of the above comments doubting the veracity of this river record really sad . Not only is it a slur on the captor but it also casts doubt on the process of claiming a record and those who administer it.Imagine how you would feel if you caught a fish of a lifetime and then some people start inferring that you are telling porkies , it would upset me I know that much . To be clear I do not know the captor or have any connection with her I just feel that this sort of comment is unwarranted

Nidd Record

Mike,without any talk of slurs or doubting,just give me a one word answer,do you think it looks 12lb 2oz,yes or no .

That fish was a mid eleven 2013/14, so no reason it couldn't achieve the claimed weight. Unfortunatley photos don't always do a fish justice.
Well done.

Jason

I have to say that I find some of the above comments doubting the veracity of this river record really sad . Not only is it a slur on the captor but it also casts doubt on the process of claiming a record and those who administer it.Imagine how you would feel if you caught a fish of a lifetime and then some people start inferring that you are telling porkies , it would upset me I know that much . To be clear I do not know the captor or have any connection with her I just feel that this sort of comment is unwarranted

I'm with you Mike. I hope the captor doesn't let these comments get to her.

I remember a 'guess the weight of the fish' BFW thread few years ago where I posted a picture of a very genuine 11lb something. A few resident experts estimated 7lb-8lb! I'm not criticising them, but it just goes to show that it's virtually impossible to gauge the weight of a fish from a photo, no matter how experienced you are...

Cheers,

Andy F

If I'm ever in such a position, I would take several photos including some of my prize fish on a mat with a recognised object from which its size may be better judged, such as a set of scales. I recently took photos of a fish but holding it in slightly differently positions. In one it looked far bigger than in the other and it wasn't a case of holding it up to the camera to give such an impression, rather, the positioning of my hands in relation to the fish.

Well done Michelle on your record (for which you must have had a witness to make a claim) and for any doubters, would you really make a false claim if you'd caught such a recognisable fish?

There are always doubters how sad and as said before you can`t tell from a photo.
Andy

Nidd Record

I think the comments and observations made by Jason put this to bed,no offence intended,congratulations Michelle,Rob.

I seem to recall the capture was witnessed by Michelle's partner/husband. Is there a better witness than that? Don't think I'd let my missus get away with claiming a fish of that quality if it wasn't for real, do you?

Back