• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Guy On Here.

Rob Smith

Hiya Fellas,

I am new on here and am pleased to be accepted on this forum. It appears to be a well managed forum and I like how people have to use their real identities, Hopefully it stops the silly immature behaviour plaguing other fishing forums.

I am a 40yr old firefighter living in Leicestershire, working out of the West Midlands and I am an avid fisherman. I have had the privilege to fish in some fantastic venues after some awesome fish with some really top fishermen.

Me In Zimbabwe after Vundu Catfish.

CONVAR236.jpg

Aripima-1.jpg

30LB-GRASS-CARP1-1.jpg

45lbCatfish.jpg

I love to fish !!!

My favourite fishing in the UK is my barbel fishing and due to a my house build project I have not been able to go for over 2 years now and am really looking forward to mid June to get into the Barbel again after the lay off.

Could you guys give me some guidance please on the best clubs to join to get some good quality barbel action into double figures in beautiful quite countryside. I really value peace and quiet whilst fishing and would rather catch 3 fish in a day at a beautiful tranquil spot than catching 20 fish surrounded by chavs.

I have fished the Teme at Stanford bridge on the BAA many times and have also fished Knowle Sands a few times too. I found the increasing levels of litter on the BAA waters to be a little concerning and some of the fish have been coming to the net with half a dozen hooks and mono still trailing from their mouths which is also very sad.

I would like to find a club that has a private stretches of barbel infested waters within 50-60 miles of Leicester.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Rob some cracking fish there, in some very nice surroundings. I think that with a 60 mile radius of Leicester you have some of the very best barbel rivers not much more than an hour away.
Give us a few rivers names and then i/we could be more specific on stretches.

Jon

Welcome to the site Rob some cracking fish there, in some very nice surroundings. I think that with a 60 mile radius of Leicester you have some of the very best barbel rivers not much more than an hour away.
Give us a few rivers names and then i/we could be more specific on stretches.

Jon

I have always liked the Teme, the Severn and the Wye. I have caught on all of them, but the Teme has been the most successful at Stanford Bridge.

I have looked at the Barbel society at Bransford and it looks a nice water, but is it good for the bigger barbel ???

I am used to waiting game of Barbel fishing and whilst I enjoy getting a bend in my rod, I would rather catch quality than quantity.

If it was the Trent Rob, I may have been able to point you in the right direction. There is some good lads on here who fish the Severn, Teme, Wye etc who will help you out.

Forum

Welcome to the forum Rob, Im not from your neck of the woods so cant help, but Im sure someone will.;)

look on the kinver Freeliners website .Got a new stretch of the teme as well lower Severn

look on the kinver Freeliners website .Got a new stretch of the teme as well lower Severn

But there is a waiting list at the moment:(

However the Birmingham AA ticket is still great value and has many good barbel venues in spite of your experiences of barbel c/w hook lengths. Agreed the litter problem is always a pain but there are venues on BAA that rarely get fished due to a walk that would be more than 100 yds from the car park.

Last edited:
wye

Get yourself down the wye fantastic countryside and fantastic river there is numerous clubs you can join and day tickets a good start would be the tackle shop in ross on wye

tight lines Carl

Hi Rob,

I'm originally from Leicester and still a member of Derby Railway, the Upper Trent around Swarkestone, Weston etc holds plenty of Barbel and is only 45 mins away. They also have a decent stretch of the Dove although that's a bit busier than the Trent. Around £45 for the year with no joining fee.

Best of luck.
Al

Back