• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Fishing Suit

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Just before I took my 10 year sabbatical from barbel angling, I had my Sundridge Igloo 3 jacket knicked out of the back of my car (along with a load of other stuff). Hopefully the thief tried the coat on and got hit with the smell of a thousand of my farts that always seemed to miraculously stay housed within the garment.

I've just got back from a session and realise that a waterproof kagool over the top of my posh Rab isn't the way to go (Mrs isn't impressed) . I need a new jacket and preferably one that's just like my old Igloo 3 (which was awesome!). I see they now to an Igloo 6...

Has anyone tried the latest Igloo? Are there any other recommendations worth looking at. Ideally it'll be super warm, really waterproof with a big hood, and large pockets.

Cheers,

Andy

What about layering?

Hoody, snugpak and army-goretex jacket (which has a massive hood). Aldi sallopettes or army goretex over trousers.

Wait till you've finished walking till you put the snugpak on as they are mega warm, great for when you are sat there.

I normally wear a onesie, joggers and waterproof trousers with a thermal long sleeve shirt a tshirt and hoody with a gortex coat. Normally enough to keep me warm. The onesie keeps any draft off your back that might creep in

Ive been using an SJ9 which is mega warm, a long walk with tackle and this will be too much, but I hoody up for the walks and then bung this on once Im sat there. Its not waterproof so I have a big old army goretex to wear over the top if it rains. (@Andy Frances )

I can confirm the warmness of the Snugpak, bought one off a member on here a few years back. I wear it under a Nash Ops waterproof jacket i bought off Graham E. Ive stood in the snow in the middle of the River Mersey ( low tide ), using this combo, and couldn,t feel the cold.

Hi Andy, Selecting the most effective outdoor clothing for the activity being undertaken is key to temperature regulation and comfort. I don’t like to be too hot, when walking/carrying my gear. But I want to be warm enough once I’m settled into a swim. I also do not like heave restrictive or bulky clothing. The key as already stated is layering. So long as it is not raining, I wear I long sleeve light weight Ski pullover top with a zip up high collar this is tight fitting and long in the body and is designed to wick heat/sweat away. I then wear I tight fitting fleece over this with a pair of camo tracky bottoms and a pair of ESP Salopette’s (I’ve heard good things about the ALDI ones). That’s what I wear for walking in when it’s dry. Rolled up and compressed in my bergan is a thin fleece gilet, a fitted baffle/puffa jacket with hood and then I have a thin breathable waterproof again with a good hood and with lots of pockets, for the outer water/wind proof layer. Once in situ in a swim the gear I use will keep me toasty on the coldest of nights and you can add/subtract layers as required.
You don’t need to break the bank as the baffle/puffa I have for fishing is only £15 quid (see link below) and is a great bit of kit. Also it’s always worth checking the ‘sale’ racks in the multitude of outdoor shops on the high street.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902562/freedomtrail-men-s-essential-baffled-jacket-15902562

Have a look out over next few weeks for Aldi fishing clothing, I’m pretty sure it usually just in new year they get advertised (though you may not want to wait)...great quality, super warm and cheap as chips!!

Prologic makes a great suit waterproof breathable warm some great discounts around at the moment too
Prologic - HighGrade Thermo Suit

Warm clothing, via layering is the way to go. Obviously the waterproof top layer is very important but not necessary 100% of the time.
Almost 60 yrs I've been getting cold in the Winter but not for the last 5 yrs.
My now set up. :-
Merino wool thermal underwear. I use M&s stuff, top and bottom, about £40.
BFW fleece hat or an Australian bush hat if it's not too cold.
Normal trousers over.
Seeland fleece lined shirt from John Norris. Serious bit of kit I'm never without November to March.
Seeland fleece waistcoat/gillet, also from John Norris, likewise.
Wearing both I rarely need to use anything else.
If I do the Helikon fleece replaces the waistcoat. From Military first. Patriot from memory, as warm as anyone could ever need.
Muckboots on the feet. NO THICK SOCKS.
Any breathable efficient single layer waterproofs on the top.
If it's not raining I usually discard the waterproof top but keep the trousers on.
It's only taken me about 55 yrs to keep warm in the Winter, fishing, really glad I've finally cracked it.

February to August I'll be on the Hants. Avon targeting a Salmon so chest waders (breathable) are necessary every trip to enable an EA approved method of release, ie. keep the fish in the water, a real pain as the waders are not necessary the 99% of the time you're not returning a fish, however they're really warm, waterproof etc. once you've got them on with said underlayers. Can sit in a puddle if you want.

Warm clothing, via layering is the way to go.

The 3,4,5 layer system IS the way to go and one doesn't have to buy top of the range expensive gear to keep warm. I am skin and bone and have raynauds and spend much more time out doors than most in the winter months. 'There's no such thing as bad weather - only inappropriate clothing'.

Re. the Aldi sallopettes ... I got it wrong a few weeks ago and sat in the pouring rain with just a very small brolly over me. Well, brolly was over me, but not over the back of my chair. I didn't realise 'til I was packing up but I'd been basically sitting in a puddle in my chair. As I say, I didn't notice it whilst sitting there ...but when I got home and removed my sallopettes I noticed my thin under-trousers were quite damp on the bum. Anyway, I'm not sure if the Aldi sallopettes are advertise as "waterproof" ...but if they are, they're not (fully) :)
Then again, actually sitting in water is quite an extreme test for waterproof-ness I reckon.
N.b.. Go Outdoors do good, and much cheaper, versions of Snugpaks (down filled).

Its on Pre order at the moment as they have sold out on Friday but proper bargain wit the extra 15% off

Its on Pre order at the moment as they have sold out on Friday but proper bargain wit the extra 15% off
I’ve got those exactly. Had em 2 years this winter. Got em for around that sort of money on eBay.
Most of the time I just use the bib n brace with a fleece and that’s Usually plenty warm enough
The jacket does get worn but that’s for extreme cold where the wind is cutting through you.
Very very good winter suit.

Back