• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new challenges?

Raymond Kent

hi all,this is a bit random,i suppose,but i am relocating to Waterbeach ,near Cambridge in the near future,I know that i shall be not to far,i think, from the Ouse,and Ivel,but as i am really lacking in knowledge of these rivers,having fished them vary rarely,would appreciate information on what clubs would give me the best chance of maintaining my chance of a fish or two.Having mostly fished the Lea for many years,i think i might be in for a reality check now,and find the fishing really different to what i am used to.
Are there any other rivers that offer a chance of some Barbel fishing,that would not be to far away?

the river nene around peterborough is only 45 mins away and has some excellent barbel waters try their website. peterboroughfishing.co.uk

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you do a quick Google search you will find most of what you need to know...................
Plenty of club waters from what I can see, a walk during the closed season will reveal plenty I'm sure.

thanks guys,thats all really helpful.Looks like i shall have to keep my Verulam book after all.After so many years of fishing the Lea ,with just the odd trip to other venues,perhaps the time has come to be a bit more adventurous in my fishing.
Are any of you Barbel society members?I hope to go to the AGM in June ,perhaps might see one of you there?

got my copy barbel fisher today,and i see that the stretch of the Nene featured is very interesting.Dont know the exact location,as i say i dont know the area at all,but sure it is easily found?
All being well when,and if the move does come off,i shall certainly be looking to join the Peterborough club.Thanks again for the help.

no problem ray, its a nice friendly stretch and its bailiff`d several times a day { and ad-hoc nights} so we deal any problems straight away but there has`nt been any for a long while, give it a try sometime but its more of a mr crabtree place not a carbaling river like the trent and seven etc.
i`ll be at the show.

Last edited:
great!that sounds like a plan?all being well if we have moved by then i will be there.If you dont spot me,ask steve pope,and i am sure he will point me out.If you had the previous BS mag thats me in the piece about the conference.
Did a lot of sessions with steve and fred on lower severn before it became a BS water but thats as far as by carbeling experience goes.Much prefer smaller waters now.The stretch of the Lea i fish the most now is very prolific,and probably the easiest barbel fishery around ,and well known for that,its no more than a couple of rod lengths wide,but a great place to go to catch a few fish,if you have been suffering blanks on the "big fish" stretches.
thanks again for the post ,and looking forward to meeting you,and picking your brain,of course,lol.

I am hoping to go to the show as well but it will depend on my wife's work (she is a nurse) and what the kids are up to. Even if I don't make the show I will be joining the B.S.

Mark and I have discussed forming a regional group in our area if there is sufficient interest. Perhaps that might appeal to you?

Maybe we could share knowledge of our respective rivers. Mark being the bailiff knows his stretch (which I also fish) like the back of his hand.

Hope your move goes smoothly and look forward to meeting you sometime.

hi all,all the you help you are giving will be a great benefit to me ,i am sure,As for starting a region,i am sure that would be great idea.The old london region of the b.s was great,as was the Barbel catchers,always a good social side,and a way of sharing what was going on.
keep in touch all,and tight lines.

Back