• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New centrerpin

Martin Osmond

Senior Member & Supporter
Please bear with me, I know its another centerpin thread and I'm new here I and have searched the forum extensively but these things change all the time so I hope it's OK to ask for recommendations.

I want, don't need but want a nice new centrepin and have a budget of around £400. It will be going on a 15ft Acolyte for general trotting. Always wanted a J.W. Young as they were beautiful reels but have no idea which one to get, or if there is anything else I should consider.

Again, apologies for another centerpin thread but appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Martin

I have a few pins but this is the easiest one to live with and looks the business.

Bang on budget and it is so easy to use as you can twist it 90degrees and cast like a normal reel.

IMG_6462.jpeg

Martin
For trotting I use J W Young reels and have quite lot in my large collection of pins.
I have a Super Lightweight, A Triton Tru pin, Rapidex II, Trudex II and a Trudex III which I am selling.
I have four trotting rods permanently set up all are fitted with the BJ Variation pins which I absolutely love.
The Super Lightweight I will sell for £245 inc postage.
P.s I know Gavin recommends the Ray Walton pin. I have 3 of them but in my opinion they would not be the reels to use for general trotting.
But that is just my opinion and I am willing to be corrected.

I’ve been using the RW Rolling pin for trotting and legering for barbel for a few seasons now , they’re so good , so easy to use , well worth the investment. The new lightweight green ones are stunning

I’d agree with Daniel the Triton is a superb reel. I also have an old and new Hardy Conquest, both of which are great in different ways. The fashion seems to be for 1” wide spools, but I personally prefer them narrower as I find them more comfortable to fish with—see how subjective this all is?!

The Bj would be my choice of the young’s pins for trotting. They are very similar to one another in regards to sizes but the bj has the check on the rim and I prefer it to the lighter version as it feels more substantial with the solid back.
The Bob James pin can’t be obtained new now but minters come up all the time on eBay for well with your budget.

The triton is definitely a beautiful reel and true pin but i personally couldn’t get on with the position of the check lever. I switch my check on with the same hand I’m holding the rod and I do this at every point I swing a rig to my hand or land a fish. It’s got to be on the rim infront of the foot for me.

I’d agree with Daniel the Triton is a superb reel. I have an old and new Hardy Conquest, both of which are great in different ways. The fashion seems to be for 1” wide spools, but I personally prefer them narrower as I find them more comfortable to fish with—see how subjective this all is?!
I prefer them slightly narrower my self Alan.

Can anyone advise whether the Mk II RW Rolling pin cured the tendency for the reel to wobble when playing a fish. I believe the Mk I’s suffered from this problem and it has always put me off buying one.

If your looking at a youngs then I would have a close look at the RS reel.

I think it might be bang on your budget also. It also has the added benefit of an adjustable ratchet drag.
As has been mentioned the BJ solid back reel is nice also, but I prefer the RS.
Personally I wouldn't go for a narrow drum reel if I had the choice.

Last edited:
They are a narrow drum and the line guard is a horrible wire cage construction which stops you wally casting, unless you remove it.
Does the reel need a clean, or has it got some marks on the back?
Imo that reel is way overpriced!

They are a narrow drum and the line guard is a horrible wire cage construction which stops you wally casting, unless you remove it.
Does the reel need a clean, or has it got some marks on the back?
Imo that reel is way overpriced!
I take it you’re not interested, then?! 😆

I'd look for a J W Young and son John Wilson Heritage can be picked up for around £250/275.

Thanks for all the input, any reason there's not that much love for the super lightweight?

Just with the ultra light rods I would have assumed they would be the one.

Thanks for all the input, any reason there's not that much love for the super lightweight?

Just with the ultra light rods I would have assumed they would be the one.
I’ve got one. It’s identical to the BJ but with a few more vents cut out. Like I said it’s a nice pin but i personally prefer the solid back plate. Feels a little more beefy for bigger fish and less places for bits to get into. The vented back plates are a bit of a bugger to clean. My fox bj was the same.

If your looking at a youngs then I would have a close look at the RS reel.

I think it might be bang on your budget also. It also has the added benefit of an adjustable ratchet drag.
As has been mentioned the BJ solid back reel is nice also, but I prefer the RS.
Personally I wouldn't go for a narrow drum reel if I had the choice.

Ian is that plastic I see left on your butt! :eek:

Back