• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Barbel society video

agree, excellent video,nice swim, bet he had a good afternoon picking them off one by one,
, was think, carp anglers have started to use them retaining nets to rest there catches in,before weighing and photograph them,

That is really good and i hope to see it on some of the fishing club websites i and many others on here belong too.

Top stuff.

I really enjoyed that and learnt something new, well done.

Well, I'm sorry, I have to disagree. For me, the handling of the fish does not get full marks. There are many good points, the dampening of the unhooking mat etc. if needed. My main concern is the number of times the fish is taken out of the water and returned. It seemed obvious that the last time the fish was taken out of the water for weighing it took significantly longer to recover that when it was taken out the first time for unhooking. I suspect another session of in and out of the water for photography would tire the fish even more.

My questions are as follows. Why weigh a relatively small fish - In this case, I appreciate that this was probably done purely for the making of the video, but in general is it really necessary to discover whether a fish is 8lb 12oz or 9lb? Does it really matter? I can understand weighing a fish if it is outside the norm, but I suspect that most of us can estimate the weight of a barbel to a few ounces. Secondly, why is it necessary to photograph fish unless it meets the criteria outlined above. Finally, in general why take the fish out of water at all. What the video seemed to demonstrate was a standard ceremony involved in catching a barbel. What the guys on the video could have said was that in most cases there's no need to lift the fish out of the water at all, just unhook the fish in the landing net. An analogy might be if we we had our heads pushed under water for 30 sec, we would come up spluttering a bit, by the second and third time, I suspect that we would be considerably affected.

On a lighter note, cracking hare shown in the background at the beginning of the clip.

Hi men,

Got to sort of agree with above , rarely weigh fish unless they look doubles ( so my scales rarely come out ) , but know the video is educational . If nothing else is taken on-board , the resting of a fish once it's in the net before unhooking will save a lot of grief for the fish .

Hatter

Hi men,

Got to sort of agree with above , rarely weigh fish unless they look doubles ( so my scales rarely come out ) , but know the video is educational . If nothing else is taken on-board , the resting of a fish once it's in the net before unhooking will save a lot of grief for the fish .

Hatter

Thanks, Mark, I'm amazed that anyone agreed with my post. Let's face it, most of us on BFW should know about the "resting" of fish. It's the fish being transferred in and out of the water that bothers me and must be the equivalent to "water boarding" for us.

Hi men,

I'm lucky , with me and Sue there is always someone looking after a resting barbel in the net , so perhaps our fish are out of the water for a minimal amount of time anyway . Got to say that the video is poss not aimed at majority of anglers on here , after all we are only a small percentage of those anglers on the banks , most of which don't bother with dedicated web sites , so seeing this pop up on as many sites as possible will be of benifit to all .

Hatter

Well, I'm sorry, I have to disagree. For me, the handling of the fish does not get full marks. There are many good points, the dampening of the unhooking mat etc. if needed. My main concern is the number of times the fish is taken out of the water and returned. It seemed obvious that the last time the fish was taken out of the water for weighing it took significantly longer to recover that when it was taken out the first time for unhooking. I suspect another session of in and out of the water for photography would tire the fish even more.

My questions are as follows. Why weigh a relatively small fish - In this case, I appreciate that this was probably done purely for the making of the video, but in general is it really necessary to discover whether a fish is 8lb 12oz or 9lb? Does it really matter? I can understand weighing a fish if it is outside the norm, but I suspect that most of us can estimate the weight of a barbel to a few ounces. Secondly, why is it necessary to photograph fish unless it meets the criteria outlined above. Finally, in general why take the fish out of water at all. What the video seemed to demonstrate was a standard ceremony involved in catching a barbel. What the guys on the video could have said was that in most cases there's no need to lift the fish out of the water at all, just unhook the fish in the landing net. An analogy might be if we we had our heads pushed under water for 30 sec, we would come up spluttering a bit, by the second and third time, I suspect that we would be considerably affected.

On a lighter note, cracking hare shown in the background at the beginning of the clip.

I agree with what you are saying and as you mention it was for the purposes of the video.

I guess it is there so novice anglers get to grips to the handling etc, as for weighing again most new to barbel fishing will want to record some of their catches so at least they can in the future estimate the weight.
This is an interesting video on handling too.

River Feeder Fishing on River Wye - Part 2 - YouTube

this is an interesting article

Barbel Fishing ? Attacking the Swim

I use quick release clips on my hooklink , I net the fish unclip the hooklink , secure the net , move the rod out of the way and then get everything ready , if its a double or looks close get camera ready take fish in net to unhooking mat , unhook it get landing net out of way while fish is covered by flaps on unhooking mat , take pic then put fish into rodded weigh sling and zip it up , weigh fish and then take it back to water in sling unzip head end and lower whole sling in to water and let it fill up and support fish and wait for fish to start kicking , slide weigh sling from under fish while lightly holding wrist of tail and slowly release it always watching for signs of it rolling

I always thought it best to rest a fish head upstream, obviously not, Pete puts it in the net so its heads downstream every time.

i,m relativley new to barbel fishing and find that this video is very informative,
i have been fishing for many years and on catching my first barbel i got it completley wrong, not resting the fish on netting which put it under stress which resulted in myself having to rest the fish for a considerable time on release, if i had watched this prior to me catching my first fish i would of no doubt saved the fish from undue stress!
ON A LIGHTER NOTE SAID HARE IS A DEER:rolleyes:

I always thought it best to rest a fish head upstream, obviously not, Pete puts it in the net so its heads downstream every time.

Yes the fish should be head upstream, this will ensure maximum oxygen intake, besides it is the natural positioning for fish, I have yet to see a fish 'at station' pointing downstream.

I think it would have been a good idea to deter folk from not going through the process of weighing and picture taking, the best advice was the resting, and the 'Hare' was a Munjack I believe :)

I think it would have been a good idea to deter folk from not going through the process of weighing and picture taking, the best advice was the resting, and the 'Hare' was a Munjack I believe :)

We can never get any agreement on this site. The Hare couldn't possibly be a deer as it had no antlers and munjack are natives of China. There can be no doubt that it was a fine large hare shown in the video.

Back