• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Net for Wading

John Newman

I am afraid this is another landing net post.....but with a difference. I am looking for recommendations for a landing net to use when wading.

My preference is to be able to stand in the river with the net slung over my shoulder which I can detach easily. It would also need to be of a sufficient size to accommodate large fish and have a handle that extends (easily) as I mostly use a 15ft rod so a bit or reach would be an advantage.

TIA, John.

i have the same problem , but none-of the wading nets ever have a long enough handle or extend with ease enough whilst playing a big barbel , so the only solution I found works for me is an fully extended handle ( I use a Drennan long reach twistlock ) with a Gear Keeper heavy duty lockable retractor Velcro strapped to the top section so it slides to the mid joint -I clip this to a big ring either on my wading belt or chest strap , the net then hangs in the water when fishing or playing , then When ready to net I unlock the retractor which allows me to extend the line of the retractor to its fullest extent with me using the landing net handle to net the fish , I can then bring the net to me as the velcro strap slides to the net head when I bring it back to me to unhook the fish. A bit unwieldy but it works fine even in the fast water runs on the Wye

Attachments

• E28DA44B-A8BF-441F-8CDD-B1D528DE9224.jpeg
    E28DA44B-A8BF-441F-8CDD-B1D528DE9224.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 120
John as you know I’m in the same boat. I’ve tried all sorts and not come to a Perfect solution.
I think a pike spinning net like savagegear or something is as close to what we possibly need for the job in the respect of the following.
Big enough to swallow any barbel in the smallest size net frame.
Retracted down they are compact enough to clip on your person.
1 hand deployment so you can keep it retracted till you actually need it. I think a trip to AD in Peterborough might be needed to look through the predator net range as these are literally made to stay folded or retracted until the fish is ready to be netted.

Sorry to take this thread slightly off topic but Simon’s mention of a wading belt reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.

I’ve got a pair of Vass chest waders, so far unused, but I’m hoping too soon. Is it advisable to use a separate belt? Someone once told me you need one but I don’t really know why, apart from keeping your waders up if you don’t want to use the braces. Is there more to it than that?

Sorry to take this thread slightly off topic but Simon’s mention of a wading belt reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.

I’ve got a pair of Vass chest waders, so far unused, but I’m hoping too soon. Is it advisable to use a separate belt? Someone once told me you need one but I don’t really know why, apart from keeping your waders up if you don’t want to use the braces. Is there more to it than that?
If you go ar$e over tip in the river you'll be glad of a belt on chesties. The last thing you want is them full of water as you (try to) float downstream:eek:

Most people use a belt on waders to clip accessories too. I don’t use one with mine because I’m always wading with my bait pouch on
It does a better job than a wader belt because I can hang my accessories on it
Tighten it up as Terry mentioned above and fill the thing full of bait.

I would always recommend getting a fully seam welded bait pouch for wading so your bait doesn’t get soggy on a waste line wade 😉

After a number of experiments I've landed upon (pun intended) a two- section telescopic pole with a wire hook gaffa-taped to the thin end of the outer pole. I've used it a lot over the last two winters Grayling fishing.

The hook is to hang it from the top of your chest waders behind you (between the shoulder blades) until you need it. I keep it there when walking and fishing.

I'd say mine is probably 7 or 8' extended and I find that long enough when trotting with a 14' rod.

When you need it it's easy to reach behind and lift it off the waders, then the current does the job of extending it for you ( no mucking with twist locks etc.).

PS. I added sufficient lead the the butt end so that it still hangs vertically( ish) and doesn't float around when you are wading deep.

This year i purchased the korum fast net floating 22 inch head.
Forum opurtunist 1.8m handle.
Had it attached via a magnetic clip on the shoulder strap of bait apron.
Used it first time today on 2 decent barbel whilst wading.
Once extended wrapped strap around left arm, net just floats on surface until netting takes place, very happy with it.
I have ordered a belt and rod holder off the app called temu.
I plan on using this to shove the handle of the net into it,as un extended its only about 18 inches long.
I dont trust the magnet as when i got back to car it had fell off and had to walk back to get it.
As above but only £4.22 off temu.

When Im wading I never use a landing net, I just bring the fish to me and unhook in the water. For some reason the barbel always turn upside down and lay still while unhooking, then just hold them in the flow til they swim off. This doesn't work if you want to weigh and photograph though !

When Im wading I never use a landing net, I just bring the fish to me and unhook in the water. For some reason the barbel always turn upside down and lay still while unhooking, then just hold them in the flow til they swim off. This doesn't work if you want to weigh and photograph though !
I have done exactly this with a lot of barbel and chub and it works exactly as you say Cliff, within seconds of being unhooked they are bolting off from your hand.

However I’ve also found it doesn’t work so well with a shallow wade. Anything lower than the waistline and it’s so much more difficult to do this with and be swift

There’s also my own concern that bringing a big fish that close before the pressure is taken off the line puts the rods tip section under a really large amount of pressure at that angle. Certainly a lot more than if it was netted from further out.

What I tend to do now in that situation is bring small singles of 4,5,6,7 to my hand but anything that’s going 8 plus I’ll net just to save putting too much pressure on the poor rods tip.

I've tried many set-ups including resting them on a tripod or a storm pole with a butt grabbing on, but in many situations net below has been adequate for use with thigh waders. I've fitted a brolly storm-spike to the butt which I push into the river bed. The net is only 22" wide (21" from front cord to spreader block) and 7.5ft long, but it's been ok for barbel up to 9lbs and chub. Not the best but ....
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I am afraid this is another landing net post.....but with a difference. I am looking for recommendations for a landing net to use when wading.

My preference is to be able to stand in the river with the net slung over my shoulder which I can detach easily. It would also need to be of a sufficient size to accommodate large fish and have a handle that extends (easily) as I mostly use a 15ft rod so a bit or reach would be an advantage.

TIA, John.
Been doing this with the chub but in a fast shallowish flow getting the barbel in that last 6ft or so was proving a bit difficult.
Was treated to a new 15ft rid yesterday so net will be even more handy now.

I've tried many set-ups including resting them on a tripod or a storm pole with a butt grabbing on, but in many situations net below has been adequate for use with thigh waders. I've fitted a brolly storm-spike to the butt which I push into the river bed. The net is only 22" wide (21" from front cord to spreader block) and 7.5ft long, but it's been ok for barbel up to 9lbs and chub. Not the best but ....
View attachment 24509View attachment 24510View attachment 24511View attachment 24512
As impressive as this is im more impressed with your grass 😂

View attachment 24509View attachment 24510View attachment 24511View attachment 24512
Good idea Terry, thank you.

As impressive as this is im more impressed with your grass 😂
I 'get a man in' 😂
When I decided to move house 22yrs ago one of my major requirements was for a smaller garden, as my previous one was well over an acre. Hmmm, well my new garden was smaller, but over 50yds long .... but only 5mins from the Teme. And it's great for loading line onto spools (got a post with a carabiner on top, 40yds from decking. I fastened to an empty spool, run it through rod rings, down the garden, through the carabiner, and back up again. Voila! 80yds!)
Edit of my above post ... "with a butt grabber on", not "butt grabbing" (you can get suspended from parliament for that eh) 🤣

Thats my set up,tried it yesterday although i only needed to use net twice, unhooked all others by hand.
Loosen first section bung out then when i need net pull it out wrap strap around hand and carry on playing fish, floating net head pulls out the handle in the current, worked a treat.

B8626B68-B3D5-455B-904E-B6EFF0E95E2B.jpeg

Attachments

• F1DBF6BC-D8A7-4978-BA8D-205D056DDEE1.jpeg
    F1DBF6BC-D8A7-4978-BA8D-205D056DDEE1.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 80
  • C9BF8BD8-C555-4968-89AD-C4AF7768786F.jpeg
    C9BF8BD8-C555-4968-89AD-C4AF7768786F.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 86
Back