• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Neoprene Chest Waders

Stuart Bradley

I am thinking of getting a pair of waders, (bought a Marco Cortesi centrepin...and fancy some summer trotting) but.... my budget is quite tight...has anyone any reccomendations please?
Many thanks
Stuart
:)

I wouldn't recommend neoprene chest waders for the summer you will boil in them Stuart. I wear my neoprene waders in summer just as protection from nettles and they get very warm and sweaty. Try looking at Bison breathable on fleabay, not used them but they have been recommended on here in the past and you can get a full set with boots for about £90.

Stuart,
You will boil neoprene waders or pvc waders get a pair of breathable chest waders, i have pvc used for my carp fishing sessions, neoprene for winter barbel sessions ( i cut off the feet so you can use thermal boots) and a pair of leeda drgonfly breathable chest waders which have given me fantastic service.
hope this is of help.
Tight lines Paul.

Stuart, get breathable ones for summer, or do as I do, carry your neoprene ones to the swim and put them on there. Believe me it's a lot easier than wearing them while walking! :eek:

The other thing with neoprene, is that they take forever to dry, lightweight breathable for the summer and you could use the same in winter with a couple of layers of good long underwear, only problem is they are all expensive.

i can only echo what has allredy been said about neoprene in summer

one trotting seesion last year that involved a switch of stetch after a long walk in neoprene resulted in them being left in the car on the 2nd water :rolleyes:

Have a quick look on eBay and your be supprised just what you can get for decent money,I bought a pair about 3years ago and they are in great shape apart from a tiny leak..so I will be using these on red hot days on my carp lake when I'm surface fishing in hard to reach areas..I just got some greys grxi breathable chestys which look very good..

Not Neoprene but I use Snowbee's 210 Denier Nylon Wader - lightweight & durable. Only £45. Still will not be cool temps in summer but might be a little less testing than neoprene counterparts

Stuart,

If your budget is really tight, so that you can only afford one pair...and yet you wish to fish all year round, then perhaps the suggestion to get neoprenes and only put them on at the waters edge would be your best bet.

They are fine while you are in the water, especially if it is above the knees...but you will perish in thin waders in the winter.

Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave.

Have a look on the snowbee web site as ive just received their sale items, some of which included neoprenes.
I have to agree with Stuart, neoprenes for winter and breathables for all other seasons.

Tight lines

Alex

I can confirm the Greys GRXI's are very good but you're looking at £200 at least i would think? Got mine from Davis Tackle, ask Nigel for the price, i'm sure he can do something?

Regards,
Jeff

Steer well clear of neo waders they are too sweaty in all but the coldest of weather and even then you will sweat your nuts off when walking to your peg!! I bought a pair of breathable waders and boots (Greys G Series) which are the Greys entry level breathables from Nigel at Davis Tackle for which he did me a good deal, total cost £150. They are brilliant, but as Brian says in the cold weather you need your thermals on!

Fishtec Sale has recently started. Airflo Neoprene £40, Zip Lock £100. They have loads of special offers on at the moment. Just be aware that stocking foot waders will require boots which might be an extra cost unless you can press some that you already have into service. Also, felt soles are good for slimy stones but disastrous on mud and cleated soles the other way around. Without being a killjoy, take care when wading and use a wading stick to have a good feel around before taking that next step.

I use breathable all year round and just wear thermals under when its a bit colder.

If you are fishing rivers where there are no slimy stones, a cheap pair of walking boots are much more cost effective than wading boots.

Sports Direct sell cheap walking boots for around £15 on line.

Stupid Question Time!

I have used Neoprenes for some time and yep they make you sweat for sure. but i don't use chest ones so can roll them down and walk - not to bad that way......

but these breathables with what appear in magazines to have stocking feet needs wading boots right? - I presume the "stocking foot" keeps you foot dry - what is it like walking around all day (when not in the river) in squelching boots?

Secondly, Do I presume you guys put the same boots back on when soaking wet if fishing more than 1 day in a row?

Finally, if my assumptions are correct how do you guys find the wet boots on the wet muddy banks?

Cheers

Hi Chris,

Stocking foot waders are still completely waterproof and your feet are always dry, it just means that instead of having an integral boot, the bottom is shaped like a sock so you can put a pair of boots on.

Wading boots are designed to dry quickly and many designed to drain quickly as well.
If they havent dried by the following day you can still wear them as you feet wont get wet as you are wearing wader.

Walking on wet muddy banks is no different in wading boots than any other footwear unless of course you are wearing felt soles, then you may as well skate from swim to swim!

Hi Chris,

Stocking foot waders are still completely waterproof and your feet are always dry, it just means that instead of having an integral boot, the bottom is shaped like a sock so you can put a pair of boots on.

Wading boots are designed to dry quickly and many designed to drain quickly as well.
If they havent dried by the following day you can still wear them as you feet wont get wet as you are wearing wader.

Walking on wet muddy banks is no different in wading boots than any other footwear unless of course you are wearing felt soles, then you may as well skate from swim to swim!

Thanks Richard - believe it or not that is exactly what i thought :D

BUT...... is there any point in getting wading boots or a cheap pair of walking boots? what about cleated sole boots?

Many prefer stocking foot waders with boots as they are quite comfortable and when out of the water, are fine for walking in.

I suppose the difference is like walking in wellies vs walking boots.

Cleated soles are essential for muddy banks and obviously are standard on walking boots. Wading boots come with felt or cleated soles.
Felt soles are good for slimy rocks etc but are a pain on muddy banks.

If you go down the cleated sole route, you might consider screwing in some metal studs. YGA do them cheap. They have worked well for me. Just choose the thicker parts of the sole to screw them into!!

Back