• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Need fishing club in Oxfordshire area

Hi guys, I had lost all interest in barbel fishing for about six years or more years after moving to Bournemouth area and getting heavily into sea fishing. My last posts on here were ages ago! However I've done virtually no fishing this year in the UK having moved away to Watlington in Oxfordshire which is miles from the sea. I've also just returned from a holiday to the states where I succeeded in catching some barbel in Arizona which was fun, and this made me want to get back into river fishing.

Can anyone tell me if the rivers are any good around here and which fishing clubs in the area offer the best river fishing prospects? Many thanks in advance for replies.

Stuart

Lots of clubs on the Thames - Reading has a stretch in Wallingford and then the Kennet when 'Old Father' drives you mad. Obviously a lot of choice in Oxford as well. The tribs are really hard and generally devoid of fish.

Thanks for that Bill.
Richard...are you encouraging people NOT to fish our rivers? Or is it that you want to keep all the bank to yourself?

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had a look at the Thame and was encouraged, but from reading the reports on here it looks ridiculously difficult... The Warks Avon is a bit far for me.. I think it may be the old RDAA again. Could anyone tell me if barbel come out of the Thames this far up?

Stuart they do and some big fish but it ain't easy...we'll i do not find it easy and usually do not bother until September due to boats....have a look at last year's Thames thread....I can fill you in about the Thame being usually the only person who writes on the thread.

Thanks again guys. I used to fish the Loddon and did quite well, but after hearing about its general decline I think RDAA is the club I will join now to get the stretches of the Kennet and Thames. Cheers everyone for helping me make my mind up, and thanks Julian for such a detailed response.

Back