• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Nash scope rods

I have a pair of 9ft scopes, great for fishing under trees on the local lake for the carp. Despite their shorter length they cast remarkably well, although it takes a bit of getting used to letting go of the line that bit sooner. The first few casts made an embarrassingly large splash about 4 rod lengths out!
I have 12 footers which I use on the Severn, actually they are 11 1/2 footers (they were 12 foot until I snapped one in the boot of the car and ended up sawing the top of the other one to make them match), I also have 11 footers which I use for lighter fishing on the wye.
I think you eventually get used to what you have and learn to work with them. If you want to use scopes, then use scopes.

I personally think the eyes are too big on scopes, I'm not honestly sure what difference that makes when barbel fishing - but they don't look right.

IMO the rods are too short for big rivers and 2.25 is way overgunned for small rivers....don’t really see any place for them in barbel fishing ... or in carp fishing for that matter.... but it’s just my own personal opinion
I still can’t get my head round the new craze of short rods with heavy test curves. It just doesn’t make any sense to me, unless you like loosing fish at the net. These rods are more suited to boat fishing imho

I still can’t get my head round the new craze of short rods with heavy test curves. It just doesn’t make any sense to me, unless you like loosing fish at the net. These rods are more suited to boat fishing imho
Couldn't agree more with all of the above post and the previous one highlighted 😏

Unless you're fishing from a tight enclosed area or jungle, a short rod like this will be a huge disadvantage.

I bought some for the canal and for times when roaming, you'd be surprised compared to a normal 12 footer in the same test curve. I tried a mates and was recommended 3.25Ib tc to cover capability in chucking pva bags. I've had carp to 34Ib on them. I've even recently bought the 6ft 3Ib for roaming.

I got a second set of scopes for the odd day trip carping. Used them the other week and have to say I generally hate Nash stuff with a passion. However I really liked the rods. Got the 9 foot 2.75. Any heavier I think it’s silly but I didn’t trust the lighter ones hit and hold with fish up to high 40’s in one pond. I could easily put a bait 75 yards with Fluor on a theory 4000 sp reel and I’m not a great caster and found my casting really accurate. Didn’t christen them with a fish however. Can’t understand people buying them in the heavier test curves though they must be really pokey.

It depends on the blank. I had a couple of 3lb Century’s and they were absolutely wonderful for playing fish under the tip, both carp on the river and pike wherever. I now have 3 10ft Scopes. A slightly stiffer blank but still great for fishing out of the boat for pike and carp and also on the canal. One of the reasons I bought the Scopes was because of the pack down size.

Back