• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Narrow Drum Speedia

A little update on my Speedia.

The reel foot was a little bit bent, so I made some inquiries about having a brass one fashioned for it. One well known reel maker was too expensive, so I reached out to someone I was aware of through another forum. The upshot was that I posted the reel early this week, and on Thursday had a call saying it was ready! It’s had a new foot machined from brass stock, and incredibly the kind gentleman charged me £10 for the work!

The outcome can be seen in the pics below—I’m well happy with it. The chap who did it also put some of his hand-made floats in the box ☺️

View attachment 31841View attachment 31842View attachment 31843View attachment 31844
Nice bit of work!

A little update on my Speedia.

The reel foot was a little bit bent, so I made some inquiries about having a brass one fashioned for it. One well known reel maker was too expensive, so I reached out to someone I was aware of through another forum. The upshot was that I posted the reel early this week, and on Thursday had a call saying it was ready! It’s had a new foot machined from brass stock, and incredibly the kind gentleman charged me £10 for the work!

The outcome can be seen in the pics below—I’m well happy with it. The chap who did it also put some of his hand-made floats in the box ☺️

View attachment 31841View attachment 31842View attachment 31843View attachment 31844
Beautiful job.

Stage 3: polishing the spool rim

I wanted to smooth out the rim to a nice polished, so today I rigged up an extremely elementary lathe and set to with sanding blocks and Autosol.

The spool didn’t zip off like a flying saucer and I’m pretty pleased with the end result. This little reel is going to be a cracker 😀

IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg

70 for me! Mid 50's
My uncle bought a new Anglia about '55. Paid me to clean it. Chrome bumper rusted in months so used autosol. When bumper disintegrated later he swore it was my fault for using the chrome cleaner. Living in a poluted
Hackney probably had more to do with it. Ha.

Living in a poluted Hackney probably had more to do with it. Ha.
And/or the fact that the Anglia was probably produced just down the road at the Dagenham (dustbin) factory. 😉

My mum’s first car was a brand new Anglia. She bought it on an apprentice hairdresser’s salary in the early 60,s which must have taken some discipline.

I’d rather keep it “Mum” Bill, as he’s a retired chap who doesn’t do it to make money and I’d hate him to be inundated 👍🏻
Fair comment Alan. I had a chap down here in Kent fit a lineguard to a ‘pin some years on the same basis 👍

Back