• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

my season so far!

Ramon San Juan

A few days into the season i went out for the first time for a couple of hours to wet a line and get used to sitting on a river bank again. After an hour or so my rod tip bent round and a carp graced my net and half hour after a recast i caught my first (of a few i hope) barbel of around 5-6lb. I was pleased with my session and went home with a big smile.

After this a couple of days later i tried my luck again in a different spot and had loads of bites soon managed a couple big roach (well more luck than judgement, my bait was pretty big lol) and went home a little deflated but eager to get out and do better. After this things went wrong.

I got into bed and started to feel what i thought were stomach cramps, i have felt them before so did what i normally do and completley ignore them and take a couple of paracetamel. I then developed 'the runs' and did not go into work and put it down to me being carless on the bank and maybe catching a stomach bug from putting fingers and catching it out on the bank. so i stayed alone just in case i can pass it to my children.

After 3 days i did not realize i was getting worse and although i had no real pain after another day and not being able to eat i went to see a doctor and as it was out of hours i was sent to a part of the local hospital.

To cut a longer story shorter it was my appendix that was the problem. after being rushed into theatre they removed it and left me on ward to recover... I was not getting better and after 8 days i was rushed back to theatre for a Laparotomy i was in intensive care for 8 days and around 2 weeks on the High dependency unit and 2 weeks on a normal ward. I lost 3 stone (16kg) in weight (i was 13 stone when i went in) odd in weight and was left as weak as a kitten.

This was 21 days ago and i am still to weak to carry my fishing gear to my favorite swim 10mins away.

I am getting stronger slowly and cannot wait to get out on the bank and hope to have my layer of insulating fat back ready for the winter.:D

Tight lines all

Ramon very bad luck Matey, I hope that you are soon back on the mend and strong enough to get back into your favourite swim catching a few...All best wishes:)

Sincerely hope you get better soon and you will. Fishingcomes a long second when your ill.

Good luck

get well soon

Blimey Ramon, I thought my appendicectomy was unusual and complicated (the surgeon eventually found my appendix tucked right around the back, not where it should be at all :p) but yours sounds to have been horrendous. Get well soon fella, then you can spend time convalescing on the bank :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery Ramon.

I have to say I thought it was going to be a case of Weil's disease when I started to read the thread....

Steve

Those were my thoughts too, thankfully we were wrong!

Best of luck Ramon, hope you feel better soon

Get well soon, I too suffered similar inital signs to you and ignored them before whizzing my way in an ambulance and having a "tacky" appendix removed. It wont be too long before you have your rod in hand on the bank mate keep going....

Brian

A few days into the season i went out for the first time for a couple of hours to wet a line and get used to sitting on a river bank again. After an hour or so my rod tip bent round and a carp graced my net and half hour after a recast i caught my first (of a few i hope) barbel of around 5-6lb. I was pleased with my session and went home with a big smile.

After this a couple of days later i tried my luck again in a different spot and had loads of bites soon managed a couple big roach (well more luck than judgement, my bait was pretty big lol) and went home a little deflated but eager to get out and do better. After this things went wrong.

I got into bed and started to feel what i thought were stomach cramps, i have felt them before so did what i normally do and completley ignore them and take a couple of paracetamel. I then developed 'the runs' and did not go into work and put it down to me being carless on the bank and maybe catching a stomach bug from putting fingers and catching it out on the bank. so i stayed alone just in case i can pass it to my children.

After 3 days i did not realize i was getting worse and although i had no real pain after another day and not being able to eat i went to see a doctor and as it was out of hours i was sent to a part of the local hospital.

To cut a longer story shorter it was my appendix that was the problem. after being rushed into theatre they removed it and left me on ward to recover... I was not getting better and after 8 days i was rushed back to theatre for a Laparotomy i was in intensive care for 8 days and around 2 weeks on the High dependency unit and 2 weeks on a normal ward. I lost 3 stone (16kg) in weight (i was 13 stone when i went in) odd in weight and was left as weak as a kitten.

This was 21 days ago and i am still to weak to carry my fishing gear to my favorite swim 10mins away.

I am getting stronger slowly and cannot wait to get out on the bank and hope to have my layer of insulating fat back ready for the winter.:D

Tight lines all

Surely, there must be someone on here who can give Ramon a hand with his tackle. Whereabouts do you fish Ramon? It sounds as though it may be the Wandle.

Thankyou ALL for your kind words and words of encoragement.

Steve: It did cross my mind when i eventually got to a+e and was in an isolation room that it could be weil's also:( but having little pain and no symptoms the doctors ruled it out straight away!

David and Brain: The surgeon said that my appendix had been burst for days before i got to hospital. This is where most of my problems lay, I had one hell of an infection running through my body and the poison was so bad it turned my mood and made me hallucinate and turn nasty towards nurses and others!

Jim: Yes i am on the wandle... i tried taking non fishing folk as cart horses but they dont shut up and clump around on the banks:rolleyes: I don't know how much help I need landing fish either (IF i hook one) as my balance is not right yet plus uneven banks etc If i get another like the one in my avatar from that river she may pull me in :eek::)

Glad you are on the mend Ramon, horrendous story, youve been lucky mate (although you might not feel it ! )

All the best and get back at em ;)

Jim: Yes i am on the wandle... i tried taking non fishing folk as cart horses but they dont shut up and clump around on the banks I don't know how much help I need landing fish either (IF i hook one) as my balance is not right yet plus uneven banks etc If i get another like the one in my avatar from that river she may pull me in

Hi Ramon, Ironically, I was in southfields/Wandsworth all last year and was very tempted to fish the Wandle. Used to live there! If I had still been in the area, I would have gone fishing with you. Unfortunately, I'm now back in Leicestershire. Surely, there must be a Wandle angler who could lend a hand. After all, you just need someone to fish reasonably close by.

I managed to get to out on the bank strong enough to carry a minimal setup and catch 2 very hard fighting barbel... (did not take scales and sling as it was excess weight lol)

My recovery has been better than i thought it was going to be. I only suffer with minimal pain on few occasions from 'overdoing it' and strength is getting better and i feel less and less tired as the weeks go by.
I will soon be able to get to other swims I enjoy with full confidence of being able to get there and back without to much fuss.

The one main thing I have gained from this whole ordeal is... how important fishing is in my life.
May sound corny but i cannot imagine my life without spending a few hours every now and again sitting on a river bank enjoying the flow of the river and watching the wildlife in peace after all the noise and stress from work........ Catching a fish is just a bonus

Thanks all again for your kind words, It feels amazing being able to get out fishing again

Ray

Glad to hear that all coming along fine with you Ramon and i couldnt agree more with you! Breathe it all in and enjoy:)

Back