• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

My new custom Torrix and pin

Another thing. Try playing a Barbel in the rain with that smooth shiny rim. You won't easily apply steady pressure. Moan moan! šŸ¤£
I'm sure you'll be ok - I've used a Milltackle Barbel Catcher (and before that a Fred Crouch Jet) for years. Both have a smooth rim and I don't have any trouble applying thumb pressure in any conditions, summer or winter. I'm sure Chris will work his magic if you send it back, as you say you're going to.

I'm sure you'll be ok - I've used a Milltackle Barbel Catcher (and before that a Fred Crouch Jet) for years. Both have a smooth rim and I don't have any trouble applying thumb pressure in any conditions, summer or winter. I'm sure Chris will work his magic if you send it back, as you say you're going to.
Yeah all my pins are smooth rim and frequently get an odd dunk to wet em off. Doesnā€™t seem to pose any issues when my fat thumbs apply the brakes.
Iā€™ve had knurled edges cause minor abrasions.
That type 3 anodize used on black king pins is actually the substance Iā€™ve found best to use wet or dry.
You need a black kingpin though to get it on a spool rim as the other colours are type 2 and not the same feeling

I have a Fred Crouch aerial and a Stanton. No problem with either. I don't know what to say really. The Youngs reel gave me problems on a wet day last March. Applying firm steady pressure was difficult.

Not quite the same, but on a similar note I acquired a very shabby 'Chris Holley Royalty Rover' Harrison 11' 1lb 6oz (I think?) made for Davis tackle which the top 3rd had been very badly painted white šŸ˜¬ and the cork handle was in a shocking state.
I had it returned to it's original state by a local but very distinguished rod builder, Gary Allner (came 1st, 2nd and 3rd in world rod building championships over the last 3 years). Shortly after I also acquired a lovely Dave Beale centrepin (those who know, know) Dave passed away last year leaving a collection of lovely pins (there are still some left;)). Anyway the two are now teamed up and I can't wait to get my first Barbel on the pairing.

No need for thanks Andrew, I agree with your opinion bud. I manage ok playing powerful fish in rainy conditions with reels that have no knerling on the rim, but I manage much better with a knerled reel rim in those wet conditions.
Horse for courses, Ian. Perhaps your thumb has been worn down over the years and no longer creates the necessary friction with which to add pressure. šŸ¤£

Kidding, obviously - I guess it's purely subjective. Though I've never used a Youngs 'pin.

Isn't it 'knurled'?

Horse for courses, Ian. Perhaps your thumb has been worn down over the years and no longer creates the necessary friction with which to add pressure. šŸ¤£

Kidding, obviously - I guess it's purely subjective. Though I've never used a Youngs 'pin.

Isn't it 'knurled'?
Youngā€™s pins to my knowledge are all smooth rim.
Garry mills are the same he wonā€™t do knurled rims.
My old Leeds pin was knurled and yeah itā€™s handy but to be honest i donā€™t notice much difference other than if you bang your thumb down hard on a knurled rim when itā€™s really taking off it can burn a bit.
Stantonā€™s are another that are knurled.
Itā€™s each to their own.
Like I say just recently towards the back end of last year I found the type 3 military grade anodized finish on the king pin to be the best surface by a long way for a rim wet or dry. It glides through your thumb but you can really grip it hard in the wet too.

Lovely set up. Yes I've the same but not the Burgundy. It's a beaut.
How's the reel? The ratchet keeps sticking on mine despite thorough cleaning and oiling. I flick the lever but it sometimes only half engages. The spring doesn't seem up to the job. I must send it back to be looked at. Don't expect that for that sort of money! None of those problems with my old Stanton plus a knurled edge. Much better for playing Barbel.

I haven't used it yet mate.

Isn't it 'knurled'?

šŸ¤” It's not just my thumb that's got worn down šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚ Richard šŸ˜‰.
No the youngs reels don't have knurled rims. I only have two reels left that have knurling on the rims, those are an adcock stanton and a swallow. I know the latter Adcock stanton makers charged extra for a knurled rim, there is a nice one of thos latter stantons on ebay just now...

I get on ok without knurling on the reel rims, but knurling deffo makes playing a powerful fish much more pleasureable when it's raining...for me at least. I find my thumb can stick and/or slip very easy on a smooth rim in those conditions. I often put pressure on the edge of the spool in that scenario as it's a lesser area that my thumb is pressed against and so it doesn't stick or slip so easily.

I've never had my thumb burned when playing a fish and using a centrepin reel.

šŸ¤” It's not just my thumb that's got worn down šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚ Richard šŸ˜‰.
No the youngs reels don't have knurled rims. I only have two reels left that have knurling on the rims, those are an adcock stanton and a swallow. I know the latter Adcock stanton makers charged extra for a knurled rim, there is a nice one of thos latter stantons on ebay just now...

I get on ok without knurling on the reel rims, but knurling deffo makes playing a powerful fish much more pleasureable when it's raining...for me at least. I find my thumb can stick and/or slip very easy on a smooth rim in those conditions. I often put pressure on the edge of the spool in that scenario as it's a lesser area that my thumb is pressed against and so it doesn't stick or slip so easily.

I've never had my thumb burned when playing a fish and using a centrepin reel.
Completely agree. Trouble with the Youngs reel is the handles are set so near the rim applying pressure to the side of the rim is difficult. I dare say I'll find a solution though probably won't bother with it in the wet. Just me I guess. I do wonder sometimes!

Back