• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

My first stillwater Barbel

Mick Newey

Caught one the weekend at my local club pool which is a few hundred yards from the Warwickshire Avon...I assume it got there when the Avon was in flood a couple of three years ago.

Mint condition it was too, only 5 lb but a little fighter, according to the club secretary there is quite a few in there. It's only a couple of acres and in some places 16 ft deep. I was fishing for the small stuff on maggots.

jzfnzb.jpg

I enjoyed the fight but still didn't seem right catching one in a pool :(

Certainly looks healthy, with a nice colour. Mind you, you've given the game away. Small hair rigged carrots I see! What's up Doc.

And he was after small stuff on maggots, don't know about you but i don't use an unhooking mat for roach ;) Nice fish Mick !

And he was after small stuff on maggots, don't know about you but i don't use an unhooking mat for roach ;) Nice fish Mick !
and i don't about you, but that's one big roach he's after judging by the net.

Exactly, when fishing the rivers for Barbel I always have the unhooking mat with me, infact it's my seat as I do lots of roving. In this occasion I made sure the ground was soft and clear of any debri .

The high and mighty on here, put people off joining the forum :p

Oh and that's my only net BTW :rolleyes:

Somebody call the barbel police! Caught from a pool and with no unhooking mat! To the stocks with thee!

Personally I don't feel the need for an unhooking mat, provided the ground is soft, or the rocks/stones are nice and smooth.

;)Should in mention it was on 3lb line, a size 16 barbless hook and on a Korum 3G FLOAT rod, yes a FLOAT rod

Last edited:
Call the anti lobby.
I've been at fault myself.
Nobody's perfect.......................but................................if you are fishing with the chance of catching "oversized" fish, you should have an unhooking mat as a matter of course.
We are all being watched and have a responsibility to behave in a responsible way.

Regards,
Jeff

Call the anti lobby.
I've been at fault myself.
Nobody's perfect.......................but................................if you are fishing with the chance of catching "oversized" fish, you should have an unhooking mat as a matter of course.
We are all being watched and have a responsibility to behave in a responsible way.

Regards,
Jeff

It looks like it's laid on a bed of clover for goodness sake , couldn't get much softer than that !

I was fishing a pool yesterday which contains a small amount of barbel, didn't take a unhooking mat though, all my fish are unhooked in the net and then shock horror put in a keepnet...................didnt catch a barbel either

Back