• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mustad Hooks...............help please

Steve Walker

As I have got down my stock of the discontinued Mustad 60333NPBLN and one of my favourite hooks I wondered if they have been superseded by a similar pattern?I'm down to my last 3 :( ..................anyone?
1638017077663.png

Yes,I've got some of these,a strong sharp hook although sizing is a bit on the large size.I have some 8's which look more like a size 6 to me.I use them with a big lump of meat and bury the hook in it and had some success.I flattened the barb as I thought it was slightly too big.I tend to stick with what I know,I've had the same type of shoes and clothes for years and don't go for the latest fashions(you've probably noticed 😆).That's why I will miss the Mustad pattern,it's a superb hook,very strong and sharp and the typical wide gape,short shank and beaked point that makes it ideally suited for hair rigs and barbel.I can't recall ever pulling out of a fish with the Mustads and with a small micro barb it pops out easily with no damage to the mouth.I've never had one straighten out on a fish and they are good over gravel with a turned over point a rarity.I just wish that manufacturers would continue making quality gear and not go for the latest trends.:(

Back