• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Music New v Old

Paul Boyle

I was listening to the radio today ..BBC radio 1 what on earth is the play lists all about .Just rubish followed by more rubish with a hint of **** here and there.

Listened to simple minds new gold dream album just ok 80s rock group,but thay have a song called hunter and the hunted and big sleep on it,not a rock songs but more of a gothic songs,but the dynamics of the music was very wide .

listen to the music charts in the 60's 70, and 80,s and ask your self what went wrong in the 90,s 2000/2010.

I cant see myself listening to it anymore ....

Paul:mad:(f ing humbug)

Last edited:
New Gold Dream was always a favourite of mine and still sounds cracking today. They didn't have much left in the tank though...

I think this thread should be in the social section mate!

Just don't be forced into listening to the tripe that mainstream radio foists upon you. Playlisting is slowly but surely strangling new music and I hate the fact that faceless radio producers are now the arbiters of taste. Too many DJs are just glorified presenters these days. Not many of them impose their own tastes on the airwaves in the way that the likes of John Peel did. He played loads of new music that would never have been played without him. Good new music of all kinds of genre is out there but it's getting harder to find. There's excellent new stuff out there but the chances of hearing on the radio it are dwindling.:(

Radio 6 has a consistently enjoyable mixture of the new, the classic and the esoteric.
Worth buying a digital radio for.

Daytime Radio 1 was ever thus. How many new interesting new bands were broken by the likes of Simon Bates or Steve Wright? Our Tune, anyone? I reckon the arch-showman Chris Moyles still shows more interest in music than Steve Wright ever did. John Peel was an exception but still tucked away late at night. Most daytime listeners would have died rather than listen to Peel. There are still some 'proper' music DJs and they are still still tucked away (Zane Lowe, Radcliffe & Maconie, various on 6Music).

There's definitely a generational thing going on here though. The current generation are more into hip-hop type music than traditional "bands" and that's anathema to those who grew up in the 70s and 80s. As a lad in the 70s, I remember teachers saying that the music we liked was rubbish, no proper tunes and you couldn't hear the words properly, we should try listening to Buddy Holly and Elvis, that's "proper" music!

Having said that, I do think music is struggling to produce new ideas — mostly it's all been done. I don't see there ever being another new era of music like rock/metal in the early 70s, then glam, punk, new wave, house, etc.

As for New Gold Dream: a top album, still sounds great now. Herbbie Hancock's synth solo - brilliant. But how did Simple Minds get ffrom the heights of NGD to the abominable stuff like Sanctify Yourself so quickly?

Last edited:
There's plenty of decent music about if you hunt around, day time radio's just pants, can't stand listening to it. Some decent stuff on night shows, but on the rare occasion I do listen to radio I'll stick on sports talk.
Early 90's grunge was my era, but listen to loads of alternative/rock from then to modern day, plus plenty of 60's/70's stuff.
The 80's was just awful in my opinion, with odd exceptions.

Classic case of; its not as good as it once was because it was never that good in the first place!

You lot are just getting old, plain and simple.....

The 80's was just awful in my opinion, with odd exceptions.
Sorry, Rhys, have to disagree on the 80s! A golden age of Indie, and it produced so much great music. Just sitting here thinking of good bands from the era, and I came up with these:

Joy Division, New Order, The Waterboys, Elvis Costello, The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, U2, OMD (Pre-1984), Simple Minds (pre-1984), REM, Japan, Stone Roses, The Police, Cocteau Twins, The Clash, The Smiths, Prince, The Pixies, Throwing Muses, Happy Mondays, Galaxie 500, Julian Cope, The Wonderstuff, Pop Will Eat Itself, Bhundu Boys, That Petrol Emotion, The Pogues, Sugarcubes, Billy Bragg, My Bloody Valentine, The House of Love, Visage, The Jam, The Specials, Boomtown Rats, Blondie, Human League, Talk Talk, Peter Gabriel, The Fall, The Sundays, Sonic Youth, Public Enemy.

There's probably loads I've forgotten, these were just what I came up with in a few minutes. Okay, the charts were full of rubbish (especially the Stock Aitken and Waterman period at the end of the decade) but you could say that for most eras. Look at the success of the Wombles in the 70s.

On the subject of early-90s grunge, I had the opportunity to see Nirvana and Tad at the Barrel Organ pub in Brum in about 1989, but couldn't be arsed on the day. Regrets? Hell yes!

Back