• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Multitools

I’ve looked for spare leatherman tools here in the past with no joy. I’d be interested to see a link where that’s possible please.
all I can find when searching this is either the accessories (bit kits, sheaths etc) or second hand crap that someone has stripped off a broken tool.
Search on ebay.com for "leatherman repair".

I thought that marlin spike was for getting boy scouts out of girl guides

i have this can’t remember where i got it says zorac on it ..always in my rucksack

Attachments

• 1C9B7A4A-8BCF-45DF-9000-F345CBD5870B.jpeg
    1C9B7A4A-8BCF-45DF-9000-F345CBD5870B.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 150
Iam had my leathermans wave for over 20yrs amazing bit of kit. It’s been repaired & replaced
Customer service is fantastic the turn around is very quick 👍
It’s with me almost all the time👍 Gets well used and abused I’ve even repaired the belt loop buy cutting the end off a old leather belt and replacing the broken one 👍

Attachments

• BCD10FD2-C0BE-4554-8780-6D0C544C2B43.jpeg
    BCD10FD2-C0BE-4554-8780-6D0C544C2B43.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 52F82048-8DFE-49A7-9446-390DDAF0C5B8.jpeg
    52F82048-8DFE-49A7-9446-390DDAF0C5B8.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 140
Ruddy hell just looked at new Gerbers - £140+ to replace the one I use the most 😳 😳 😳
Daren't take it out now.
They are all like that now. My skeletool cx was about £60 when I originally got it. It’s double that now and as for the charge 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
The new gerber top models have carbide cutting jaws now. That’s a nice upgrade. I’ve looked at gerber lots of times and they look great but I ain’t a fan of the way the pliers come out on that retractable slide. Don’t know why I just prefer the way leatherman do that bit.

Richard you are spot on about the Gerber pliers. In use the handles can nip the palms of the hand. Well made tho, mine have been nipping me for over twenty years now. The leatherman micro is a great addition to a keyring.

Never had that problem to be honest, I just hold them lower down to get better leverage, but I get what you mean
You need to keep on top of that mechanism as it is a trap for sand but it's never seized up. Wash it under a tap and a blast with WD40 through a straw sorts it out.
I noticed on the website they have a 25year guarantee so that goes some way to justifying the cost.

Never had that problem to be honest, I just hold them lower down to get better leverage, but I get what you mean
You need to keep on top of that mechanism as it is a trap for sand but it's never seized up. Wash it under a tap and a blast with WD40 through a straw sorts it out.
I noticed on the website they have a 25year guarantee so that goes some way to justifying the cost.
Yeah the 25 year warranty is the same as leatherman. I’ve used it several times with highly abused tools and it’s always been replaced no questions asked with a new tool. I’d imagine gerber do exactly the same.
my good friend is a gerber man. Wouldn’t look ar another multitool and he’s had most to compare.

I’ve worn a leatherman wave on belt on my fire service uniform every shift for the last 20 years. Lost count how often I’ve used it be it up ladders , or cutting or running repairs on gear that’s faulty on a job , or cutting away clothing on a casualty
I’ve used it in a flat fire in BA in zero vis to cut a load of cable that was laying over a stair case in a cannabis grow before we got insulated cutters on our BA sets. I’ve also got a cheaper version in all my fishing bags .

I’ve worn a leatherman wave on belt on my fire service uniform every shift for the last 20 years. Lost count how often I’ve used it be it up ladders , or cutting or running repairs on gear that’s faulty on a job , or cutting away clothing on a casualty
I’ve used it in a flat fire in BA in zero vis to cut a load of cable that was laying over a stair case in a cannabis grow before we got insulated cutters on our BA sets. I’ve also got a cheaper version in all my fishing bags .
I have to say Ian, I’ve never read a reason to carry a multitool as good as that right there. 👍🏻

In the 90s I went to the USA and while there bought a Leatherman and a Gerber both were their top models

intending to sell one of them after deciding on the one I preferred and thought was best ...................... I sold the leatherman and my Gerber is still like new and got me out of trouble countless times
I also have a Swiss Army Victorinox Swiss Champ someone bought me as a birthday prezzy

Another vote for Gerber. I have the suspension model and have used it regularly for some 10 years. I have recently managed to break off one arm of the pliers at the base. Suspect it must have had a knock in the past as all i was doing was lightly squeezing a lead shot on under my float when it snapped. Tested out Grebers 25 year guarantee and a completely new suspension tool complete with case arrived in less than a couple of weeks.

Back