• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Multitools

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m sure you’ve guessed already…… yes I’m a big fan
Other than public places where there is no need or desire to carry one, I’ve pretty much got one on me the rest of the time.
I’m not like the Americans that have one for every day of the week for show rather than use but I do have 2 that I swear by as the most brilliant useful things ever. I’ve stripped fishing reels on the bank with 1 tool when I’ve needed to.
reason for the thread…….., who else is a multi tool fan and what is your flavour.
for me it’s the skeletool cx and charge + from leatherman
My (new again) charge + has just hit the door mat today after I sent it for a warranty claim. Snapped knife point (was not abusing it ….. honest) and it’s made me think and ask the question.
any multitool fans???

Absolutely love them, just bought one of these from ebay to keep in my cab, may never need it, but there just in case.

Also one of these, fantastic emergency bit of kit, absolutely brilliant, ive used it many times to help fellow cabbies. Superb.

This is the actual one that i bought, enough strips for 25 punctures, spare strips and glue available very cheaply from ebay. Highly recommend, a must for in the boot of anyones car.

It states on the packaging that this is a temp repair, ( to cover their own back ) but at least the last 10 repairs i have done for drivers has lasted the lifetime of the tyre tread. 👍

I bought one cheap from wolsley plumb centre, a Rothenberger one its got the pliers, knife, can opener screwdriver etc,
I mean its no where near as good as a leatherman, but its got me out the schnizel a few times! I paid 4 quid for it out the bargain bin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-060146_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-060146_Chrome.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 127
I also have a gerber prybrid utility knife too, this a great little knife, mini prybar, bottle opener, wire stripper. It also has an alleged screwdriver 🤔 I paid about 18 quid for this on amazon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-061856_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-061856_Chrome.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 133
This is the actual one that i bought, enough strips for 25 punctures, spare strips and glue available very cheaply from ebay. Highly recommend, a must for in the boot of anyones car.

Essential bit of kit especially if you own a car with no spare like mine and don't have runflats fitted.Not forgetting an electric airpump.

It states on the packaging that this is a temp repair, ( to cover their own back ) but at least the last 10 repairs i have done for drivers has lasted the lifetime of the tyre tread. 👍
Every confidence in them,been using them for years and once had five plugs in a motorcycle tyre.

I have owned and used a Leatherman Wave since they first came out , must be over 18 years now, it goes on coarse fishing trips, sea anging trips both boat and shore, when out for walks , took it when we went camping etc. It is not always with me ,but it has come in useful more times than I can count.
A few years ago I was snipping a piece of mono line with the scissors when one of the scissor blades “ pinged” off, I gave the UK supplier , somewhere in Scotland I think, a ring, in short they did not repair it, just sent me a replacement without a quibble. The tool must have been about 15 years old then.
If only every manufacturer was like that 👍.

My wife always carries a Swiss Army knife in her camera bag as well , that has come in useful too.

David

I have owned and used a Leatherman Wave since they first came out , must be over 18 years now, it goes on coarse fishing trips, sea anging trips both boat and shore, when out for walks , took it when we went camping etc. It is not always with me ,but it has come in useful more times than I can count.
A few years ago I was snipping a piece of mono line with the scissors when one of the scissor blades “ pinged” off, I gave the UK supplier , somewhere in Scotland I think, a ring, in short they did not repair it, just sent me a replacement without a quibble. The tool must have been about 15 years old then.
If only every manufacturer was like that 👍.

My wife always carries a Swiss Army knife in her camera bag as well , that has come in useful too.

David
The warranty is second to non. I’ve just had my 3rd charge delivered brand new . They don’t repair any of them no matter what the issue is they just send out a new one. My original must of been 15 years old. I do give it a hard time mind.

The new one is a nice upgrade over my older model actually. It’s got the 154 carbon molybdenum replaceable jaws on the pliers. Which I do like a lot. They are always the first thing to go dull after cutting plenty of stainless welding wire

Just as a matter of interest, as most will know I do like using vintage tackle , cane, original ‘ pins etc.
Part of my vintage gear is an original WW2 Army clasp knife. It belonged to my father who was a professional soldier before, during , and after WW2. It was made in Sheffield, has been sharpened, well used and because I know where my father served I can reasonably confidently say that it has seen proper action.
I like to think that it is now enjoying a well earned retirement , and sometimes when sitting waiting for a bite, or when using it to cube up some Spam I will pause and think about my father , who passed away years ago .

image.jpg

It is not widely known, but the above knife design was the same one as originally made in 1913 for soldiers in the great war, if you can find a good one it will certainly outlive you, if you dont mind paying upwards of £60.00 for a really good example.

David

You can buy Leatherman spares and repair or change a tool if you need to. I was issued with one around 2006 and despite much abuse still functions fine. I lost it a few months back and sent off for a new one. A few weeks later it turned up, so I have a spare.

Earlier this year we were walking near to the River Charente in a picnic site when se were asked by a young lady if we had a corkscrew. Middle of nowhere, miles from a town and they had forgotten their corkscrew! Unfortunately I was unable to help as the Leatherman does not have such a tool. I explained thaf it was a couteau anglais which at least made her laugh in such distressing circumstancss.

In a previous life I dealt with Gerber direct and got samples for catalogue photography, so I have a few, one in each rucksack.
Agree one absolutely critical piece of kit. Gerbers are bulletproof and close season they go swimming in a bath of WD40, toothbrush to get all the grit and sand out the slide mechanism and a smidge of grease on the the moving parts. Twenty odd years on , still going strong.
I also like the old Victorinox Swiss Army knife but no locking mechanism on the blades, but does have a corkscrew and a toothpick!

Just as a matter of interest, as most will know I do like using vintage tackle , cane, original ‘ pins etc.
Part of my vintage gear is an original WW2 Army clasp knife. It belonged to my father who was a professional soldier before, during , and after WW2. It was made in Sheffield, has been sharpened, well used and because I know where my father served I can reasonably confidently say that it has seen proper action.
I like to think that it is now enjoying a well earned retirement , and sometimes when sitting waiting for a bite, or when using it to cube up some Spam I will pause and think about my father , who passed away years ago .

View attachment 15849

It is not widely known, but the above knife design was the same one as originally made in 1913 for soldiers in the great war, if you can find a good one it will certainly outlive you, if you dont mind paying upwards of £60.00 for a really good example.

David
Wish I could find mine David .Question : my Grandad always told me that one of the tools on the knife was to remove stones from horses hooves . Is this true ? If so has anyone ever approached a horse and done the deed ?

Wish I could find mine David .Question : my Grandad always told me that one of the tools on the knife was to remove stones from horses hooves . Is this true ? If so has anyone ever approached a horse and done the deed ?
As far as I am aware, the spike was for removing boy scouts from horses hooves Mike , although I do also understand that it is a Marlinspike , for ropework, although I do not think that many soldiers would find much ropework to do really.

David

You can buy Leatherman spares and repair or change a tool if you need to. I was issued with one around 2006 and despite much abuse still functions fine. I lost it a few months back and sent off for a new one. A few weeks later it turned up, so I have a spare.

Earlier this year we were walking near to the River Charente in a picnic site when se were asked by a young lady if we had a corkscrew. Middle of nowhere, miles from a town and they had forgotten their corkscrew! Unfortunately I was unable to help as the Leatherman does not have such a tool. I explained thaf it was a couteau anglais which at least made her laugh in such distressing circumstancss.
I’ve looked for spare leatherman tools here in the past with no joy. I’d be interested to see a link where that’s possible please.
all I can find when searching this is either the accessories (bit kits, sheaths etc) or second hand crap that someone has stripped off a broken tool.

My multitool is an 12" Bahco adjustable spanner. :D It gets used for everything at work.

I'm lucky in as much as all our work tools are provided, so I don't have masses of tools at home, although some of them have somehow managed to make a home in my shed. It's the same with power tools, everything provided and top quality too.

Back