• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Multiplier Reel Question

Sam Lloyd

Brought a Penn multiplier today, originally to sell on for profit as i have in the past but i've now decided to keep it for my own sea fishing.

My question is with multiplier reels, are the handles on the other side than with fixed spool reels? Mounted on my rod (rod "upside down") the handle is on the right hand side. I'm begining to think it may be a left handed model :eek:

Sam,

The handles are on the right hand side in general. It will feel strange at first, but you get used to it after a couple of trips out. Give it a go and you will find it's fine!

James

No Sam, that is a normal right handed reel! When fitted correctly (reel up) the handle should be on the right! Some reels can be bought left handed but the norm is as stated, I'm sure you will get used to it mate.

thanks guys, didnt feel too uncormfortable holding it. i have owned a penn before (then i realsied what it was worth so sold it) but i couldn't remember if the handle was on the right or not !!

I,ve usd multipliers for years, all right handers, no problems, and I,am right handed. Recently I,ve bought a couple of left handers, which I use for salmon fishing, and after a brief, getting used to period find them far better, no more changing hands to cast etc.
peter

Why cast right handed and then switch to use the left on the rod and the right to reel in? Yes you can do it, but why not just have a left-handed reel (especially if you've been doing it all your life with a fixed spool reel)?

The reels with the handle on the right are more normal as people in the states, australia, etc hold the rod with the laft hand and reel with the right, whatever type of fishing they are doing, be it coarse, sea or fly............

In this country however, we do things differently and most companies make reels right handed (as we would call them), i.e. handle on the left, that is what I made a point of buying for my lure rods, I believe Penn do a right handed version too although they are probably rare...........

Brought a Penn multiplier today, originally to sell on for profit as i have in the past but i've now decided to keep it for my own sea fishing.

My question is with multiplier reels, are the handles on the other side than with fixed spool reels? Mounted on my rod (rod "upside down") the handle is on the right hand side. I'm begining to think it may be a left handed model :eek:
it's nothing to do with where they're used that most sea reels have the handle on the right making it left handed to us fresh water guys, it comes from the time when the reels were just big center pin affairs and with most people being right handed the strongest arm was used to crank the reel, you need a 'left hand wind version, hard to find in some makes, abu, penn and mitchell have them and so do daiwa. not sure what size you have but that's a limiting factor too as smaller ones are also used by fresh water anglers so have versions to suit us. i know thw abu 6501 and 5501 are 'lefties' as i had them both but once you get to the 7000 size i think your stuck with a couple of reels to chose, good luck. thoroughly recomend the 6501 though

Last edited:
its only a little old penn 85, cost me a fiver. last penn i paid a fiver for i sold for £50 :D paid for my okuma epix pro 40 :) shame the 85 seems to be a lesser model, had my eye on a korum kxi !!!

I've never understood why American and Canadian lure anglers,if they're right handed,go to all the bother of casting right handed,then changing hands in order to reel with their right hand.Several years ago I bought a Shimano baitcaster in the Bass Pro store in Toronto.The sales guy was amazed that being right handed I wanted to buy a left hand wind reel.As already stated,if right handed people use fixed spool reels with the handle on the left,why break the habit of a lifetime.I know this doesn't apply to boat and beachcaster reels,but with bait/lure casting,I'd have thought it to be a necessity.
Pete:)

i used to get strange looks when using my 'leftie' abu 6501 on Dover harbor from the regular salt in the veins sea anglers for using the wrong reel, mad. only other person with one was 'left handed' and held the rod like me in the right hand. his second rod was a fixed spool setup with the handle on the right side, just cant work out some people:D:D:D

On my pike spinning multis I have the handle on the left, this is because coarse/spinning rods have short butt sections and are controlled with the arms, therefore you need your strong arm to play the fish, also to work'n'jerk a lure all day is tireing so strong arm is required).
On my beach rods (as with all beach rods) however the butt sections are longer and when fighting a fish the butt is either pressed into the waist, or goes between the legs, the arm is therefore only used to 'brace' the rod and all the pumping is done with the body (bending at the waist). This frees up your strong arm to do the winding (which it will be quicker at than the weak arm).

Back