• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Multiple Captures

Roger Farrow

Having banked what I thought was a Wye double on Monday/Tuesday night I then caught the same fish twice within 3 hours yesterday evening.

I need to check my scales properley as it only went just over 9lbs on the first capture last evening - didn't weigh it the second time. There is no doubt it was the same fish with particular damage to the tail and a mark on the flank above the dorsal fin.

It was caught from different locations but all within about 40 yards of each other.

I'm very surprised that one fish would show 3 times within 24 hours - is this normal, or just an unpressurised fish?

Roger. I have had a couple of double captures in a day.

It helped to make me comfortable with the fish feel pain debate.

I think some fish, maybe from a damage point of view maybe mental, need to take every opportunity to feed, even more so than when there is competition. ( mug fish)

There is a particularly damaged (twisted body) chub that comes out of one if my swims frequently.

Graham

I think it was early last season when I lost a barbel to a chafed hooklength after a short fight, within minutes I had the fish again and successfully landed it. Two identical boilies and hooks within half an inch of each other.

i had a high 12 ( i think, might have been a 13) a couple of years ago, took a long long time to recover the fish but eventually it was put back, swam down into a weed bed in front of me. After about 10 mins i dropped a couple of freebies in and was gobsmacked when it started feeding on them, Fed it a few more and it was moving around in front of me. Pretty sure if i had put a hookbait in i could have caught it again. That was the only time i caught that fish and mates hadnt had it either.

A few years ago, I caught a 9 pound barbel from the Kennet about 45 minutes after putting it back after the first time I caught it. Very easily distinguished by a number of raised scales on one flank

While on a week's Severn holiday with a friend, I caught a small barbel that was very easily distinguished by the fact that it had only one eye and a number of old scars on its flanks. It looked as though it had been in several fights and lost them all. A few hours after I caught it, my friend had the very same fish from a swim about 50 yards downstream of me.

On the same holiday (might even have been the same day), I lost a fish to a hooklink break. Two hours later, I landed it, with my broken hooklink still in its mouth.

I caught the same fish with an hour or so between captures on the Kennet a few years ago. Cracking bite but no fight twice, it was slightly deformed and lends credence to Graham's observation. Or maybe it just wanted some company..

One of my thoughts, as Graham mentioned, is that the trauma can't be that bad if she was willing to feed so soon after capture. The other instances reported seem to reinforce that. Interestingly the last time out was the best fight - perhaps she is learning!

Off out again now for a couple of hours - different swim but within easy cruising distance - hopefully the stretch has more than one barbel (a fair few chub).

I had a barbel from the Wye last season with an unusual circular scale pattern just above its anal fin same fish came out two swims down just 4 hours later.

Back