• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mullet

Andrew Burt

I'm on holiday I Lostwithiel Cornwall. I aim to catch some mullet and have brought some float gear. Any tips or advice locations etc would be welcome. I am particularly interested in how the tide effects them.

I fish for Mullet in the Camel Estuary, there are some good sized ones around the outer Harbour at Padstow, I usually fish off the harbour wall, using bread flake under a quivertip setup, but there is no reason that float fishing wont tempt them,you will need a drop net though.
They run to a good size, and really go on Light gear.

You need a permit to fish around the harbour, available from the harbour office, cost.... Nil.

Here is a post from another forum, and current information as well.

Link

spinning for mullet down the quay- World Sea Fishing Forums | Sea Angling and Sea Fishing Online | Fishing Reports

Hope that helps a bit.

Dave

Andrew,I use a straight lead usually about 3 oz, with hook length of about 12 inches tied to the main line about 18 inches above the lead, very simple and straight forward, main line about 8lb, hook length, about 6 lb with a size 6 wide gape hook, the flake just nipped around the hook as you would for Chub, I also use bread paste which is really just as good.
I just lower the sinker down the edge of the harbour wall, let it touch the bottom, then wind in a couple of turns so you get a bend in the tip, the mullet really can be very frustrating, sometimes they just give a hefty tug , sometimes they nibble, and twitch at the bait for ages.
For attraction, I use a cheap loaf, torn up into bits, this is put in an old landing net net with a string through the top, I put a weight into the net and lower it to the bottom on a rope into the water about 6 feet uptide of the hook and bait, give the net a shake every 5 mins to release bits of bread into the water.
Very basic and simple really, you need a drop net though if you are any height above the water.
Dont drop your hook length bs too much, those Mullet can give quite a fight and are not line shy when fishing in a tidal area, if you try for them in a creek or still harbour though, thats another matter entirely.
I shall be down in Padstow after the Mullet ( and Bass ) at the end of this month.You can float fish for Bass of the same harbour wall using frozen Sandeel.

Good luck.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I only have a landing net. I caught two this morning in the river by our digs. I fished bread flake and fed mash bread. I just caught the ebb tide. I will try the flood later

We're you ledgering, or float fishing ? Either way, well done, bread is a very good Mullet Bait,but I have also had them on a bit of Mackerel flesh finger nail size, nipped through the skin.

Btw were they any size ?

Dave.

Biggest I would guess 4 1/2lb. I caught them and two trout on a float feeding mash bread. Just like for chub great sport! :D a bit of mackerel could be better as it would stay on the hook. I will try the same spot tonight then by the sewer outflow in the morning. It's a lovely little river and free fishing with great access. I used a 0.2mm main line straight through to a size 10 carbon chub. The waters pretty clear do you think fluorocarbon may get a few more bites? I'll bring the centrepin next year!

Sound like a plan.... Flouro should be ok, I use it for Bass, but because I fish so close to the bottom for Mullet in an area that can be snaggy I opt for mono ( forgot to mention above that I use a short rotten bottom weak link between the lead and mainline )
I think I will maybe have a shot at floatfishing for Mullet next time I am down, dont think I will manage to get any trout though ;0)

Dave.

Back