• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mullet?

Mark Gaskell

Just a enquiry really was fishing today and was sure i saw one well up river,are mullet known to travel up river on high tides and when in flood?

I'm sure i caught a glimpse of a mullet well upriver yesterday but it was on the far bank and difficult to tell for sure. Did you try fishing for it Mark? Some anglers say they are quite shy biters but i've found them quite savage if baited long enough. ;)

I believe the thin lips are the most tolerant of fresh water, thick lipped and the golden grey less so.

Had a couple of days camping on the Hamble this weekend so hooked my tin boat up, threw a float rod, centre pin and some Topper floats in the bag.
A couple of plump specimens that made the pin sing

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

Also had a dozen or so schoolies on trotted rag.

As always, great fun chaps :)

Ian

Last edited:
There's a little place I know where mullet rub shoulders with roach; Here is a brace from the same swim / session / tactics

Roach.jpg

Mullet.jpg

Lovely set up Clive ;)
I use my 440a every year for the big tench. The sound of the clutch is fantastic...

Very nice fish :)

Ian

Not seen or heard of Mullet on Ribble for months now,would be nice to see again as its getting time for the stick.

Mark

You will see them late spring/early summer down near where the old powerstation used to be, following a food rich tide in ;)

Catching them is another matter !:D

Lovely set up Clive ;)
I use my 440a every year for the big tench. The sound of the clutch is fantastic...

Very nice fish :)

Ian

Thanks. I took the Trudex off as it was too windy to control the float and the line kept blowing off the spool. With the Mitchell I play them off the handle, not the clutch. Don't ask me why. I just prefer it. I had that mullet beat in about twenty seconds. Then it saw the net :D

Two weeks later I went back to the same swim and using exactly the same tactics caught a crab and a flounder :( . The mullet have gone to warmer climes.

Can anyone reccomend a guide in the Christchurch area? I'd love to have a go at these beauties but not sure where to start :eek:
Failing that, anyone on here care to show me the ropes in exchange for a nice steak and a bottle of wine.......:p

Nigel Gray and the chaps at Davis Tackle are very helpful Steve.
Last summer I had a go at the Stanpit recreational ground for a few hours with mashed bread/flake - initially trotting a float and then freelining close in. There were Mullet everywhere, right under my rod, but as expected, totally frustrating. I did actually manage to hook a couple briefly but didn't manage to land one. Took 2 loaves, should have taken more.
Probably not much help but might be a good place to start.

Back