• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mr and Mrs Barbel

I'm with you on this Ian, but am willing to accept the males may be slightly shorter - Dave, could you ask your lad by how much!

For example, on a small river i fish there are a small group of 5 big barbel that are generally observed together. From comparing captures with other anglers the entire group are roughly the same weight in the summer - around the 12lb mark. The two largest fish, which are slightly longer by an inch or two begin to pack on the weight in winter and have been recorded at weights of over 14lb, the other 3 fish remain around the 12lb mark. It is also interesting to note that the fish which remain 'constant' have been recorded at slightly heavier weights than the two longest fish early season.

I'm thinking the two longest fish are females, the other 3 are males. I'm guessing you'll agree Ian but would be interested in anyone's thoughts . . .

Andrew

The boy's off making Easter Whoopy at the moment but I'll quiz him on return.

I've seen shoals (presumably year class) of fish of a similar size, would they all be the same sex? Hmmmm?

Crooky's observation on the increase in barbel size is also a ponderable, it's all making my head hurt.

Why was the question asked in the first place? Does it really matter? Can we choose which sex fish we target? Maybe chocolate flavoured baits will select the big girls :p

If anybody finds a barbel that's male over 8lb let me know please.

Thats why the catches on the Loddon now are mainly over 10lb and there are no small ones..............simples.

Graham

Graham,

If you tell me how you sex them, I will keep a look out, thanks.........;)

Are you saying that the groups we see on the spawning reds having a real good go every year are all female and butch lesbians?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

New on here, but spotted this thread and was amused. It is actually quite easy to tell the males from the females.

If you observe them at spawning time, the ones sedately getting on with important job of laying eggs are the girls....the ones pumped up with testosterone and flying around and attempting to do unspeakable things with everything in sight, and being in general an irresponsible pain in the arse...are the boys :rolleyes:

Good job we humans have evolved beyond that, isn't it :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Ian,

Lovely vid fella, great timing to catch them 'at it' in such clear, shallow water...AND with the sun shining:D

However, while I agree she looks very active, that is only a very necessary digging action she carries out in order to dig her redds (if I can use a salmon term :D)....other than that, she was fairly sedate to my eyes. Sort of a battleship/destroyer thing going on there :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back