• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mosquito repellant

It's not cynical mentioning that the topic had been covered before - especially when so recent that is. On the previous topic there was a lot of good info, and some useful links, but that is kinda lost when a new thread is started.

Perhaps people don't know how to search? On Google it's obvious, but on BFW (the current BFW of course as the "old" BFW didn't have a search feature that worked which is why hours were spent generating FAQs) just click "search" in the horizontal bar above and enter a search word.

So, for example :

"mosquito" returns
bfw_search01.jpg

"midge" returns
bfw_search02-1.jpg

"repellant" returns
bfw_search03.jpg

From these results you can read or ignore "old" threads if you want, but if there was a recent one it might be best to post on that one, and thus not fragment information?

It's just my view anyway :)

Back to the plot .................. I use Boots' roll-on with deet. I prefer roll-on to spray because I can control how much goes on and where. When I used to use a spray I seemed to get it over my hands and clothes, I wipe my mouth and eyes, and generally get a bit numb. With a roll-on it does not go on hands or clothes, and it only goes where you want it.

paul4

Steve, i'v only seen this in small 10ML bottles. How much do you need for it to be effective?

Mark

I just splash it all over mark. Any exposed skin.

Just watch if you're sweating tho, as it stings a little....
I remember the first time I put some on Ben, while we were getting ready for a night after eels.... Boy he did scream....lol. Think it put him off night fishing all together....

I've managed to buy large bottles, so I just use the small ones to keep in various bags and tackle box's....

As with most things, it doesn't work for everyone, but must be worth a go, and at least you go home smelling nice at the end of a session...

Ian, give it a go... Let me know how you get on...

Steve

I'm another big fan of the Avon Citronella skin so soft spray, it's brilliant stuff! We use it on holidays abroad too. Another benefit is it also partially neutralises the fishmealy whiff I tend to come home with this time of year.

Cheers
Mark

Try either Morrisons or Sainsbury's own brand repellant ( the 50% Deet stuff). The Mozzies at Cottage Lane lakes on the RDAA book are evil, and without spray they will be all over your arms, hands neck, ears in SECONDS of you walking through the trees, and they will be drilling away immediately.

If I spray my arms and rub it in, then spray into my hand, rub my hands together and wipe round my neck then my forehead, I have no more trouble. They just stay away.

For really vicious mozzies I would recommend a minimum of 50% Deet. I know some people don't like Deet, but it does the job and works for me

ear wax, cigarettes and garlic - all effective, ear wax the best but you can source your own supply!

Going to have to disagree there Dan, I went last night and was bitten. I hadn't had a shower before going, had a few ciggies while I was there, and was using Garlic Spam on one rod :p

regards
Richard

Going to have to disagree there Dan, I went last night and was bitten. I hadn't had a shower before going, had a few ciggies while I was there, and was using Garlic Spam on one rod :p

regards
Richard

You didn't rub ear wax all over yourself mr Walker! The garlic works for some and not others but you need to eat planty of it so it seeps out of your pores! ;)

paul4, thank you for seeing my point and putting it somewhat better and more diplomatically than I did :)

Hi Paul,
I wasn't having a dig at you honest ! :p
Just that i couldn't understand why you would object to conversation taking place, when there was no need to partake if you didn't want to.

Paul4 makes a valid point about fracturing the information, but he is far more advanced in his knowledge of IT than most, and most wouldn't think of searching when the subject isn't on their mind, it's seeing a new thread or post on a subject which provokes most into thinking about the subject matter, and then posting though that also may take place if someone is thinking about the subject, and not wishing to start a new thread, decides to go Paul4's route and search the archives, and bring back an old thread, there's nothing wrong in that at all.

But lets be honest Paul, the comment you made suggested in your opinion the subject was boring you, and that any further comment on it was not needed there being plenty of information to answer any questions by using the seach engine, thats what i took your comment to mean .....
'Is nobody capable of searching the forums anymore, this has been done to death.'

My reply to you was only because i couldn't, and still can't understand your viewpoint, when all you had to do was not open the thread, and thereby not boring yourself with old subject matter.
I certainly don't believe your comment was from Paul4's point of view that your concern was that the information would be fractured up, and better staying in one thread, it was the words 'Done to death' that provoked my reply, in your opinion maybe, but there have now been 21 posts in this thread, that's leaving out those directly connected to your comments - so some people are interested enough to comment even on a new thread on a very very old subject, i'm interested enough to post, if i wasn't i just wouldn't simple as that ! but i would never dream of implying that people shouldn't start a new thread on an old subject just because i was bored with it.
PAUL ! just don't open them mate ! it's so easy :D

Ian.

to settle this im no computer wizard but i never use the laptop i use my phone and for some reason it eill not let me search the thread and when i have actually searched the word so many different threads apear where it may have been mentioned its alot easier to start a new thread and keeps the forum busy and keeps most interested and communicating which i thought was the idea of a forum, if however it has upset anyone in anyway im sorry i only want useful information and iv learnt the way to learn is to ask surely nothing wrong with that!!! (unlike my puncuality :D )

Ok, let's not let this get out of hand. Yes, I am a bit tecchy, but on a computer only - my knowledge of mobile phones is limited to talk and text :) so never consider another viewpoint.

grouphugg.gif

paul4

You can shave that beard off before you give me a hug Mr Whiteing !! :D

I think the thing to remember is that people like to post and get responses. People are doing more than looking for info, because there are a thousand sources of info about the best insect repellants. We're all linking up with our fishing tribe.
It's like saying that you shouldn't talk about football facts in the pub with your mates, because you're far better off searching the internet if you want to learn such facts.

cheers

ear wax, cigarettes and garlic - all effective, ear wax the best but you can source your own supply!

Excellent Dan ! A nice briar and some smoldering shag works , my Grandad swore by it . Also try burning Joss sticks , seriously ! Not good on a windy night I grant you ....

Excellent Dan ! A nice briar and some smoldering shag works , my Grandad swore by it . Also try burning Joss sticks , seriously ! Not good on a windy night I grant you ....

A smouldering shag??? I suppose that would focus your attention away from the biting beggars!!!
Hope you are well Mike :)

I think the thing to remember is that people like to post and get responses. People are doing more than looking for info, because there are a thousand sources of info about the best insect repellants. We're all linking up with our fishing tribe.
It's like saying that you shouldn't talk about football facts in the pub with your mates, because you're far better off searching the internet if you want to learn such facts.

cheers

errrrr, no. I think you missed my point. The original "let me google that for you" was part in mirth, the further stuff about searching was to inform since "cynical" was hardly the appropriate word (in my opinion), and the searching tips were for within BFW, not to tap into the thousand sources.

The thing to remember is that some of our fishing tribe already, recently, posted stuff about this subject and by starting a new conversation that stuff gets lost. It's a bit akin to having several tribes in the same pub, talking about the same subject.

No more on this from me :)

A smouldering shag??? I suppose that would focus your attention away from the biting beggars!!!
Hope you are well Mike :)

Then you could have a nice relaxing tug on your briar afterwards ! I'm OK Dan thanks , still flogging away on the Ouse . Hope all is well with you and yours . Tight lines

I just splash it all over mark. Any exposed skin.

Just watch if you're sweating tho, as it stings a little....
I remember the first time I put some on Ben, while we were getting ready for a night after eels.... Boy he did scream....lol. Think it put him off night fishing all together....

I've managed to buy large bottles, so I just use the small ones to keep in various bags and tackle box's....

As with most things, it doesn't work for everyone, but must be worth a go, and at least you go home smelling nice at the end of a session...

Ian, give it a go... Let me know how you get on...

Steve

Maybe not good for my soft sensitive skin then :)

So, what is the best stuff..................... only kidding LOL

I have just bought some 50% Deet Jungle Formula from Wilkinsons, it is half the price there than anywhere else.

Tried it the other evening, it seems to work. Did i not read somewhere that the Keith Arthur recommended Avon product did not work and was maybe a wind up, or am i getting that wrong?

At Paul4's age he can be excused getting tetchy once and a while:D:D:D:D:D

errrrr, no. I think you missed my point. The original "let me google that for you" was part in mirth, the further stuff about searching was to inform since "cynical" was hardly the appropriate word (in my opinion), and the searching tips were for within BFW, not to tap into the thousand sources.

The thing to remember is that some of our fishing tribe already, recently, posted stuff about this subject and by starting a new conversation that stuff gets lost. It's a bit akin to having several tribes in the same pub, talking about the same subject.

No more on this from me :)

Hi Paul. I don't think you're cynical, so no worries there. I think that people do talk about the same subjects in pubs and there's noything wrong with that.
Anyway, I can sense your frustration because the server is full of useful information that gets ignored and people just post the same stuff over and over. I've been on this forum and its original incarnation for 6 years or so and it's always been like that. Maybe just post a link in the new thread leading to one of the previous ones? That might satisfy some.

Cheers and I'll keep my own mouth shut now as well. :)

Back