• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

More Tench advice please.

Simple Brown Crumb mixed with Layers Mash is also a good carrier for particles, as long as you don't go too OTT with the free offerings inside it, keep your groundbait balls about the size of a satsuma they'll go out well (50 yrds +).

I find its less attractive than the flavoured feeder of maggots/ pva bag of casters so the tench will generally home in on your hookbait faster.

If your struggling with the groundbait, a good glug of Molasses is quite a good binder too. Make them nice and round, by the time you've made them all up the first batch will be hardened nicely.

Last edited:
Alternatively you could dispense with the cereal altogether and just feed the swim with a small spod, Gardner pocket rockets are perfect for this, they are more accurate than balling in groundbait (unless you drop from a boat) and can be feathered down to make a lot less disturbance.

A mix containing dead maggots/casters/micro pellets/hemp etc topped off with liquidised COOKED hemp or sweetcorn or both will produce a nice cloud and enough goodies to keep them rooting around for ages, just keep topping up regularly (depending on activity) speak to any good match angler about feeding patterns they have forgotton more than most big fish anglers will ever know about getting bites ;)

Terry, thanks for the compliment but if last season is anything to go by then the EX bit seems more appropriate :)

Last edited:
sweetcorn soaked in molasses and then mixed with black eyed beans flavoured with savoury or fishy flavour can work well at times as groundbait and using dyed sweetcorn soaked in molasses as hook bait....j.w

Hismis - your so modest! How bout Veteran Tencher?:)

The Korda Mini Skyliner is a good accurate little spod... Easier to retrieve than the Garnder Rockerts. Catapult is more fun though!;)

Its always good to watch someone with a pult viewing from the side, they think its all 'on the spot' when in reality its all over the bloody place :D

For the purpose of this exercise, Im gonna head for the marker, but aim to put a spread the size of a large tennis court.

Im always rusty first couple of trips of the Spring, and the few trips after... till around August time.

I must say my little gardner rocket is brilliant, except when it comes to retrieving it. It's also not very good when you need to get a lot of bait in the swim! Oooooooh me arms :D

I must say my little gardner rocket is brilliant, except when it comes to retrieving it. It's also not very good when you need to get a lot of bait in the swim! Oooooooh me arms :D

Rod high, wind like ---- well very quickly and skim it along the top, more bait/bigger spod, SIMPLES :)

Hi John
Just read what you wrote about black eyed beans. Just so happens I have a bag of Hallibut Flavoured black eyed beans in the freezer. Tried to catch Barbel on them. Failed, but didn't really give them a fair go, and the Sussex Ouse can be a bit hard and moody for Barbel at times. Could be about to get worse as I have recently spotted my first Otter on the river, but I will steer clear of that debate. On the subject of black eyed beans, intensely flavoured with vanilla and dyed red they are a top bream bait, so there is one for you all to stay clear of.

Take on board what Dave Hall wrote about Tenching being like scaled down carping. I should point out that my Tench fishing of yesteryear owes more to Mr Crabtree than Danny Fairbrass, however I will try and update my act. I used to enjoy catching them using the lift method. Think my combi rigs with the anchor shot pinched on the join could work well. Anyone tried this?#
Thanks again for all the advice.
Shaun

Hence my question on TFW, about big spods.... Big spods, less casts, less retrieves = LESS SORE ARMS;):rolleyes:
:D:D

Tench fishing doesn't necessarily mean scaled down carp fishing, in fact I would say it is more enjoyable with feeders and even more enjoyable with a float rod.
I have got myself a 13ft Drennan tench float rod and can't wait to get on a gravel pit with it in May. Until then its tons of bait in the hope of capturing a bream or two.

Tench fishing doesn't necessarily mean scaled down carp fishing, in fact I would say it is more enjoyable with feeders and even more enjoyable with a float rod.
nope, it dosn't, i started catching tench on 3lb line, float,match rod and red maggot, sweetcorn and bread flake, it's finding waters that are worth doing that on, not many about now.:(

Been catching tench on lobworms over red maggot intended for perch since january, the day after the pit defrosted. Had a nice 5lb male and a lovely 6lb lady this evening:

014.jpg

011.jpg

Back