• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

More good news - this time for the Mancs!

Andrew Boyne

I've just heard the news that the river Irwell has recently been stocked with Barbel by the EA. See here: Fishing Fiend: Irwell Barbel Quest Part 10

Hopefully they will do well in their new home, maybe in a few years time the Barbel anglers from the Manchester area won't have to travel too far to get their string pulled! :)

for one minute when i read that title i was hoping you were gonna say old trafford had collapsed.

really good news for the irwell, well done to all involved
cheers
jerry

I worked at a paper mill in Radcliffe many years ago and they pumped loads of **** in the irwell after it went dark...Good to see things changing for the better..

The Irwell passes my works in Ramsbottom and it used to be all colours years ago:eek: very clean in the last few yrs with a good head of brown trout and chub around, would be good with barbel aswel;) not sure if they are going to stock as high as there though.

Last edited:
The Irwell passes my works in Ramsbottom and it used to be all colours years ago:eek: very clean in the last few yrs with a good head of brown trout and chub around, would be good with barbel aswel;) not sure if they are going to stock as high as there though.

Sorry to dissapoint Paul but as the fishery officer for the Irwell we have no plans to stock Barbel past Bury. The water upstream of there is mainly game fish, however if the barbel like it they will migrate upstream. Has an industrial river the Irwell does have a lot of disused structures and weirs that need removing. We are busy at the moment identifying and spending money on the removal of as many barriers as possible on the river to open up the system and allow free migration of fish upstream and downstream. This will eventually lead to a healthier river.

Sorry to dissapoint Paul but as the fishery officer for the Irwell we have no plans to stock Barbel past Bury. The water upstream of there is mainly game fish, however if the barbel like it they will migrate upstream. Has an industrial river the Irwell does have a lot of disused structures and weirs that need removing. We are busy at the moment identifying and spending money on the removal of as many barriers as possible on the river to open up the system and allow free migration of fish upstream and downstream. This will eventually lead to a healthier river.

Thanks for the info Ian, agree with the disused structures around:( Lets hope in the future because there are some really good areas around that would scream barbel;)

Back