• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

More facts to what we probably already knew

It wouldn’t be that much of a task to organise a citizen science program with BFW.
If we could pick a standardised Phosphate test kit that’s readily available, reasonably accurate and affordable then all we’d need after that is members to take a test on the bank and report them in a thread. Then collate that data.
Would there be much support/interest?

The Hanna handheld P tester the reporter is using costs around £70. The reagent kit which covers 25 P samples costs approx. £14 for 25 tests. To check the tester is accurately calibrated, you then need the calibration agent which is approx. £22 for 25 tests. This is the bottom end of the price range of testing kit. from that you jump up to approx. £400-500 for higher spec'ed kit.

I would think that if there was enough people willing to test on mass then using lower end testing kits would be more than adequate. And I'm sure that the cost could be brought down significantly by a bulk order. Even more so if someone helpful out there has a trade account with one of the suppliers..?

Personally I think the Hanna unit a bit overrated, I know a lot of people who have found it fails to be as accurate as titration based kits that are much cheaper, but as you say the next step up would be significant. Measuring tenths of parts per million isn’t always easy. I was hoping we could find a standardised titration style test but obviously it’s something that would need advising.

I couldn’t say as I’ve never used it. But I’ve been using a Hanna handheld pH/ EC/TDS meter at work for nearly a decade and it’s still doing the job, despite being dropped in ditches and bogs, and trodden on several times.

The benefit of a handheld tester, as I see it, is it’s quick and easy, and therefore more people there might be encouraged to take samples?

I couldn’t say as I’ve never used it. But I’ve been using a Hanna handheld pH/ EC/TDS meter at work for nearly a decade and it’s still doing the job, despite being dropped in ditches and bogs, and trodden on several times.

The benefit of a handheld tester, as I see it, is it’s quick and easy, and therefore more people there might be encouraged to take samples?
I’ve got the same unit as you Joe, Hanna stuff is usually good value for money.
The Phosphate one however is a photometer based unit, you pour a powder in and that can be part of the issue, not adding the correct amount of reagent etc as can muck on the vial, like finger prints. I’ve had a few friends abandon it after getting different results on the same vial, ie repeatability. The normal one and the ULR one are the same bit of kit, but the ULR reads in PPB. I believe this one (non ULR) is better and most issues are with trying to use the ULR version.

It wouldn’t be that much of a task to organise a citizen science program with BFW.
If we could pick a standardised Phosphate test kit that’s readily available, reasonably accurate and affordable then all we’d need after that is members to take a test on the bank and report them in a thread. Then collate that data.
Would there be much support/interest?
I'd be up for that. A great idea.

Just got off the phone with Glyn Marshall about what they’ve been upto and how they’re work has been linking up. There’s also a portion going on with Fish Legal, so I will chase that up.

As it stands Phosphate measurements with the Hanna units will be being taken and submitted. I’m going to have a chat with some contacts and see if, for the cause, will supply them at a reduced rate.

Over the next fortnight I should be able to outline a testing methodology and somewhere for those interested to source the kits and submit data.

Back