• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mordex Merlin

Philip Webb

I have been given a Mordex Merlin in good condition but is missing the screw in the middle of the centre boss that adjusts the end float.
Does anybody know if a spare is available from anywhere ?
Phil.W

Hi Phil,
I also have a Merlin,...it was my fathers and dates to the 'fifties' I believe. As well as having sentimental value, it has always been one of my favourite centerpins to use.
You are correct about the screw adjusting side float on the reel. I'm afraid I can't advise where to find a spare, but I have just checked mine out and it is a slotted head grubscrew, and measures 2.75mm [0.108ins] in diameter.
I suspect that it is a 'BA' size, but I will check it out when I am back to work on monday,..Unless someone else can be of further help.
All the best,...Dave T.

Be careful with that end cap they go brittle with age and split, I've got one I like to use with my Wizard (It's almost symbiotic) but with the damaged cap I don't want to use it any more as the spool comes loose.

I can,..[or another engineer], could probaly make a new one for your reel Adrian. Seems a shame not to use a reel when it can be fixed.
The end cap looks as though it was made from a bakerlite type material, but you have far more choice, ..plastics, alloys or stainless steel nowadays.
Dave T

Thanks for the replies guys.
The centre boss on mine is alloy rather than plastic.
I will try Gary Mills
Phil.W

I can,..[or another engineer], could probaly make a new one for your reel Adrian. Seems a shame not to use a reel when it can be fixed.
The end cap looks as though it was made from a bakerlite type material, but you have far more choice, ..plastics, alloys or stainless steel nowadays.
Dave T

If you could make them they would be a popular item Dave and I would be very interested in purchasing one.
I have an acquaintance who makes model steam engines, scratch built, and mills all the wheels and other bits which would normally be cast from solid lumps of metal. He tells me they that because they also house the spool release arm and spring they would be very difficult to make, not impossible by any means but for the price of the reel they would be not economically viable.
If you did fancy a go as a sort of challenge I think one of the hardest parts would be finding a complete one to use as a pattern, Mine is no good as it has bits missing where it cracked up.

Hi Adrian
I've taken the cap off my reel and your friend was right when he said that it is not a particularly straightforward job to replicate. The original moulding allows for the release latch-arm to nest inside it,..and frustratingly, is 'ramped', to allow the latch to lock in.
Unless a decent amount are made, the cost will be prohibative. How many Merlins are still out there I wonder ? CNC machines are clever, but if I made 10off caps they would possibly cost £30 - £40 each! 100 off would be more like £7.50,..I'm not sure if there are 100 Merlins slill in existance!
Must admit that I did'nt realise what a pig they would be to make!

Phil
Just as a point of interest, the side float adjusting scew is a 6 BA grubscrew,..6mm long and slotted.

All the best guys
Dave T.

Thanks for that Dave,exactly what I needed to know.
Just ordered some off ebay
Phil.W

Last edited:
Back