• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Molasses

Does anyone use molasses as glug or in mixes?
I love it Graham, I use it both as you detail. I’ve one tub of bait that I dug out today which has been “soaking” for about four years. I’ll be giving that pot a whirl this summer :) it’s one of them baits that I always have confidence in...

Used to use molasses to help ferment particle,mainly budgie a canary conditioner (partiblend).After cooking the seed would be put into a bucket ,molasses into the hot water ,top on loose and a few days later the 'brew' would start fermenting,stirred daily,after a week it would be ready. I was very effective,i only stopped using it when Pellets came, in which were less hassel,cleaner and lighter to carry . I used the particle and put the liquid/brew in lemonade bottles and froze for mixing in groundbait. Equine suppliers sell 5 litre containers very reasonably.

Last edited:
I used a bottle of Molasses for a while, adding it to groundbait and dipping boilies in it. I don't think my catch rate went up and it made a mess of my hands, tackle bag etc. so I gave up using it.

I always used to put liquid molasses in groundbait when tench or bream fishing and found it to be the most successful attractant, but it's got very expensive and seems to be quite hard to find these days. When I was using it (this is over 20 years ago, mind), you could find large jars of it in most supermarkets, and it was a couple of quid. Molasses sugar is easy to come by, but it's still quite pricy and I'm not sure if it will give off the same aromas in water as its concentrated liquid counterpart.

Back