• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Modifying avon tops?

Craig Shildrick

Having just repaired my Bream rod recently and painted a white top and orange tip on, i was wondering if anyone paints there avon tops for better visibility in the low light?

In a word 'NO'. I have no idea why people feel the need to paint an avon rod tip. Simply fit an Enterprise night light adaptor and during the day use an orange Drennan float insert, which you swap for an isotope during the hours of darkness.

Really suprised that more anglers dont do this, as its so much easier on the eye. Perhaps they rely on the sound of the baitrunner too much:D

Regards,

Neil

Last edited:
In a word YES, 30cm of white tip. The reason being that I fish a lot of smaller rivers and in certain light conditions it is very difficult to see the rod tip against a background of dark trees, and I personally find it easier to focus on than one small point.

No, never felt the need. A nite-lite or isotope does me fine, if I have to.

Neil... that is a good idea (may even adopt it myself) but when your having one of those sessions where everything us a little tougher than normal, those adapters can be a pain when you have not noticed the line has magically wrapped around it (again:rolleyes:) and a nice white section if rod is eaiser to use..

Thanks for the tip though

Yes, get many requests for painted tips.
Often there is no need to do lots.
Best colour combinations are white/fluoro orange and yellow/orange fluoro.
Only use around 20mm of each or less on my personal rods
Quiver tips need a bit more - my torrix spliced in quiver has white/yellow fluoro/orange fluoro.

Cheers,
Bob

Yes, like Colin I fish some smaller rivers were it helps to have a white tip to contrast against far bank trees & bushes....

However I dont feel comfortable painting the tip (without making a mess!!) so i wrap plumbers PTFE tape around the last 12", its very light so does not affect the feel of the rod and can easily be removed with no damage to the rod. The tape usually lasts several sessions before it gets a bit ragged and needs replacing.

I tend to use the same rods for Tench fishing and they look much better without a white tip on the buzzers!!!...I know such a tackle tart!!!!

Michael

I've used both in the past but these days can't be bothered staring at rod tips for hours on end so hold the rod with the line over my index finger. This way i can let my eyes wander and enjoy the surroundings while at the same time feeling more knocks and taps on the line than you will ever see no mater how well the rod tip is modified! ;)

Must admit to passing admiring glances to Mr Farlows, Bob built Torrix recently, well . . . one of them, using the white/fluoro orange combo. Stands out very well! :)

Of coarse you could always get Delkims instead. :eek:

painted a few quivers white ,as they're easy to see against a contrasting sky in low light or against a contrasting background .normally my barbel rods would have shrink wrapped isotopes fitted ,but since changing rods this year ,i've left the isotopes off for now .and have been playing with some other ways .i considered the ptfe tape (i've used this as a tempary solution before) but i've settled on two other methods their the same as older methods (paint & tape) but different.

i come accross this new vinyl wrap called "mighty brite" reflective tape ,it comes in two sizes ,i chose the 12" version ,and it turned out right as its just long enough to wrap between the tip eye and first intermiediate

DSC00636.jpg

its a black tape just a few millimetre wide you spiral wrap the tip with just a little tension applied

DSC00656.jpg

by using the black ,it blends in with the blank and you hardly notice its there

DSC00658.jpg

but shine a light onto it and it lights up like a christmas tree

DSC00657.jpg

i've used just one strip out of the four provided another will be fitted too the next gap between the preceading two eyes .and the other two will probably be used cut down and stuck onto verious items i might need too find in the dark .I chose black but other colours are available ,and if you don't like it just peel it off !.

i brought mine of e-bay
mighty brite

more choices

DSC00659.jpg

i've also been trying out a ultra violet varnish ,that goes on clear (matt) but after being charged up in daylight ,glows in the dark

KGrHqRk4E2D8G8L2PBNtT0LvC_12.jpg

i've applied a coating too one of my barbel rods spare tips (the 1.75 b/s tip) using a paint brush to paint it onto the tip

DSC00661.jpg

as its clear matt varnish ,you don't see it when dry .I've yet to charge it up and test it .

on e-bay

Last edited:
Just an example - I use 'plug-ins' on some rods. These offer the opportunity to change the tips.

IMAG023.JPG

Top - plug in sight tip
Mid - er the rod tip
Bottom large blob

There are other variations, plain tip, quiver etc.

Cheers
Bob

Yes, I have been painting the top 8/9" of my avon tops for some years. I use a spray can of B&Q orange fluoro. I use an isotope and plastic attaching gismo for night fishing but always take it off in daylight. It's a personal thing, obviously, but removing the isotope for daytime fishing means one less thing for the mainline to tangle around as far as I'm concerned.

Just an example - I use 'plug-ins' on some rods. These offer the opportunity to change the tips.

IMAG023.JPG

Top - plug in sight tip
Mid - er the rod tip
Bottom large blob

There are other variations, plain tip, quiver etc.

Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob,

Would you be prepared to modify some rods that you have built, I was thinking that it would be an easy way of replacing isotopes when they fail?

Dave

I do the same as Neil, no need to paint tips really. For extra highlighting, I'd use two clips and use bright red catapult rubber to mount the float tip or night light in.

7mm-x-20-metre-red-square-slingshot-catapult-rubber-123-p%5Bekm%5D264x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Nice and simple:

sam1501m.jpg

I'd wager that if you currently fish with a standard black avon top, and you try the above, you'll use it moving forward.

I often hear people say that they dont get on with these adaptors as the line gets wrapped around them? If you you wrap the line around the rod tip (as we all do from time to time), these adaptors are not the cause, and I challange anyone to explain otherwise

Regardless of whether or not I have an adaptor fitted, in any of my fishing (all types) I always give the mainline a short pull, to check no problems.

Last edited:
Back