• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mitchell 810/811

Has anyone had experience of these, apparently uncommon, reels?
Hi Alastair,
Now you are testing my aged memory. ! I never used one myself, only ever used 300’s and 410’s. The 810/811 were, I believe, a high speed version of the others mentioned. The 810 would have been LH wind and the 811 RH wind. The gear ratios on the 300/311 was 3.5:1 the 410/411 was 5.0:1 and I believe the 810/811 was 6.5:1. The reels were all same size with same capacity spools. The 810/811’s never caught on like the others.
If I’m off beam with any of this I‘m sure I’ll be corrected (and happy to be so!)
regards
Bill

Hi Alastair,
Now you are testing my aged memory. ! I never used one myself, only ever used 300’s and 410’s. The 810/811 were, I believe, a high speed version of the others mentioned. The 810 would have been LH wind and the 811 RH wind. The gear ratios on the 300/311 was 3.5:1 the 410/411 was 5.0:1 and I believe the 810/811 was 6.5:1. The reels were all same size with same capacity spools. The 810/811’s never caught on like the others.
If I’m off beam with any of this I‘m sure I’ll be corrected (and happy to be so!)
regards
Bill
Sounds spot on to me Bill. I had a 300 and a 410. Today's Shimano baitrunner reels are so much better! I still use a 440 for float fishing though.

Sounds spot on to me Bill. I had a 300 and a 410. Today's Shimano baitrunner reels are so much better! I still use a 440 for float fishing though.
The 440. I’d forgotten that one Ian. A higher gear ratio version of the Mitchell Match. Auto bail arm. Again not one that I used myself but remember as a lad looking on with fascination when I watched people use them. Nice to hear that you are still using one, must be circa fifty years old 👍😁

Hi Alastair,
regards
Bill
Don't forget the 330/331 ''Otomatics'', precursor to the dab bail armed Mitchell Match series . The 810/811's are basically as you described Bill

The 440. I’d forgotten that one Ian. A higher gear ratio version of the Mitchell Match. Auto bail arm. Again not one that I used myself but remember as a lad looking on with fascination when I watched people use them. Nice to hear that you are still using one, must be circa fifty years old 👍😁
The high speed version was the 840 Bill.
I had one and were great reels but preferred the Cf Abu's for trotting and are still in use now.Tried pins and fixed spool but love the cf for light line stick fishing.

Last edited:
I've used all those reels and the 300/301 was the 'Specimen Hunters' reel of choice, mainly (IMO) due to its low gear ratio. Mitchells were/are fantastic reels but the slipping clutches on them had a mind of their own, with the result that they taught several generations of anglers how to backwind 😂 .

Don't forget the 330/331 ''Otomatics'', precursor to the dab bail armed Mitchell Match series . The 810/811's are basically as you described Bill
The Otomatic, I couldn’t recall the name. All fond memories for sure Mike 👍

I've used all those reels and the 300/301 was the 'Specimen Hunters' reel of choice, mainly (IMO) due to its low gear ratio. Mitchells were/are fantastic reels but the slipping clutches on them had a mind of their own, with the result that they taught several generations of anglers how to backwind 😂 .
Even with two Teflon washers in each of the clutches of my 410’s they weren’t keen on slipping Terry. Back winding was the order of the day 👍🤣

Bill, the 440 was also known and branded as the Match reel. You might be getting confused with the 330 which was the same ratio as the 300, but with the auto bail. I think the 4 series were higher ratio models of the 3 series.

Bill, the 440 was also known and branded as the Match reel. You might be getting confused with the 330 which was the same ratio as the 300, but with the auto bail. I think the 4 series were higher ratio models of the 3 series.
Thanks Clive all makes sense with the numbering, all great reels in their day.

Thanks Clive all makes sense with the numbering, all great reels in their day.
What do you mean 'in their day'? I still use them :)

nqPfsV7.jpg

What do you mean 'in their day'? I still use them :)

nqPfsV7.jpg
I’ve noticed that in some of your previous pictures Clive. Great to see….might be tempted to give mine an airing just to say I’ve caught on them again….I did catch my first ever Barbel on a 410 but bought some Okuma baitrunner style reels when I nearly lost a rod on a very flooded River Severn and did something daft to save it😱

I use a pair of 300’s when after Barbel , I have no problems at all with the clutches, but I do admit that they can be a bit moody if not looked after . I always give mine a quick service and lube after every use, so they are silky smooth.

I never got on with backwinding at all, having a firm conviction that if a reel has a clutch , then it should be used.. plus, I found backwinding awkward, and that it seems to unbalance the rod .

David.

The 300s from the early to mid 50s with their ultra slow oscillation are the pick of the bunch for me. I got one from the charity shop for €8 to go with the half-bail I found for £7 at an auction. :)

Back