• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mink cull

A google search will confirm that the grey squirrel has been virtually eradicated on Anglesey. This has been done with the consent and help of the local population who are looking forward to the reintroduction of the native red.
If it can be done there then I'm sure it could be done through the rest of the country the key is getting the population on side, this is best achieved through involving the kids......The younger the better, and who knows....Perhaps one day another generation of school kids will be taught how to cross the road by the native red squirrel.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4690166.stm

Had a mink sitting opposite me on the banks of the Cherwell last weekend - as brazen as you like. It would sit watching me for a while before disappearing for 10 minutes and then come back to check on me. This went on for about 30 minutes.

Just up the road at Clattercote reservoir, I actually had one walk right up to me (within a foot) and have a sniff of my rucksack!!! I didn't think they were usually that confident?

If my memory serves me right . Years ago on the Wye landowners offered a £25 bounty on all dead mink .Dont know if the offer still stands today

Back