• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Midland tench water

My mate had the record in one of the lakes years ago. He was vexed it wasn’t a carp but took a photo anyway. The bailiff informed him in the morning and asked for the picture for the website. He told me about it and how annoyed he was at the time and said to have a look at the website at the picture to see his face lol. He looked well pissed off in the picture. He’d of probably smiled if he knew it was a lake record

LOL.

I fished Hunts corner last year with one of my mates. He fished for the Carp, I fished for Tench. He had a Tench of 7lb 11oz. He wasn't even going to weight it until I made him. I'd have been over the moon with it, but he wasn't bothered. I don't think he have even netted it if I hadn't been there, just unhooked it in the water.

LOL.

I fished Hunts corner last year with one of my mates. He fished for the Carp, I fished for Tench. He had a Tench of 7lb 11oz. He wasn't even going to weight it until I made him. I'd have been over the moon with it, but he wasn't bothered. I don't think he have even netted it if I hadn't been there, just unhooked it in the water.
That’s the attitude of many of the carp boys I’m afraid Simon and when they do unhook them in the water “it was a 10lber I swear” 🤣

I don’t see what‘s wrong with unhooking fish in the water - assuming you don’t damage them in the process.

I did that with a big bream yesterday.

No need to net it, carry it up the bank, weigh it etc etc. I’ve caught dozens that size before so I don’t need to stress the fish anymore than necessary; and I’ve a pretty good idea what it weighed….. Much simpler to get in the river (wellies and a nice hard margin helped!) pop out the barbless hook and release it.

He didn’t want to get his net slimed up by landing it, that’s why he doesn’t bother landing them and unhooks them in the water. Same when he catches Bream. I dread to think what size Bream he’s caught and just let them go.

Beehive woodland lakes
Spring wood fishery
Manor fishing club
Longford lakes
Birchhouse lakes
Woodlands farm fishery
Golden Pond fishery

A range of ponds and lakes in Derbyshire all with what you would be after, some more picturesque than others. Could take a drive and have a chat with the anglers/owners and see which ones appeal to you?
If you want a bend in your rod, lift method, corn on the hook and a floppy hat a well run picturesque mixed commercial water may be just the ticket or a club water with ponds, canal and wide slow river sections.

Last edited:
Alec, both Chelmsford and Colchester have good tench waters but membership is full. That said I emailed Colchester's membership secretary 5/6 weeks ago and I was lucky enough to be offered a membership so its worth contacting them.

Alec, both Chelmsford and Colchester have good tench waters but membership is full. That said I emailed Colchester's membership secretary 5/6 weeks ago and I was lucky enough to be offered a membership so its worth contacting them.
yes I will, thank you. I am a member of wasps at witham visit the area frequently.

Thanks, I will look at both tomorrow.
Friday lake is Kings Arms club. Now a serious carp water so the tench might have suffered and there might be a waiting list. Also check out ‘Lea valley fisheries’ - they have several decent waters but probably carp dominated these days with waiting lists to match.

The Grange was a very serious carp water and quite hard to join (I joined under an assumed name, but that’s another story). No idea these days as I’m not Essex based anymore.

There are a few others on the ‘secret’ list……

It depends on the sort of Tench fishing you’re after, but Nazeing Meads and North Met in the Lea Valley have some big Tench in them that do get caught. Big pits and open to the public to walk around, Nazeing Meads is next door to a travelers site. You can get bothered there a bit, or so I’ve heard.

I’m not sure about North Met but Nazeing Meads has a waiting list that you have to pay £50 to join, I’m not sure how long it is but i got offered a winter ticket last season.

It depends on the sort of Tench fishing you’re after, but Nazeing Meads and North Met in the Lea Valley have some big Tench in them that do get caught. Big pits and open to the public to walk around, Nazeing Meads is next door to a travelers site. You can get bothered there a bit, or so I’ve heard.

I’m not sure about North Met but Nazeing Meads has a waiting list that you have to pay £50 to join, I’m not sure how long it is but i got offered a winter ticket last season.
Tbh leaving even an old car like mine in the vicinity and expecting it to still be there is said to be in hope over experience.

I fished Nazeing for three springs and loved it. Can’t imagine I’ll ever want a big fish enough to do that weekly drive from East Yorkshire again but never had or saw any issues whatsoever. In fact, everybody was really friendly. Really tough going at times but also some fish that just weren’t possible up here.
I fished Centre lagoon at Nazeing in the late 70’s. A big fish was a scraper 6 and the biggest my friends caught there was 7.01. Friends fished there much later and caught doubles….

I sympathise on the distance thing; One of my fishing mates in the 80’s came from Beverley and he tench fished with me in the Lea valley and in Kent. Another mate lived in Devon and he was doing overnighters in the Lea valley at one stage - mad ! I lived 20 minutes away.

Prior to that I’d moved to work in Scotland and was still fishing a lake in Wales every June.

These days I’m not interested if a venue is more than an hour or so from home.

I fished Centre lagoon at Nazeing in the late 70’s. A big fish was a scraper 6 and the biggest my friends caught there was 7.01. Friends fished there much later and caught doubles….

I sympathise on the distance thing; One of my fishing mates in the 80’s came from Beverley and he tench fished with me in the Lea valley and in Kent. Another mate lived in Devon and he was doing overnighters in the Lea valley at one stage - mad ! I lived 20 minutes away.

Prior to that I’d moved to work in Scotland and was still fishing a lake in Wales every June.

These days I’m not interested if a venue is more than an hour or so from home.
I ventured on to the Centre when I stopped catching anything on the South in my third year. I would save my holidays so that I could do Sunday to Wednesday for (give or take) six weeks through May and into June and with nobody to cajole me into it when it was tough going. The things you do for some fish!!

An hour’s far enough for me too these days, but according to carpers there are 10lb tench in loads of the Yorkshire gravel pits 😆

Your mate from Beverley didn’t move to Germany by any chance did he, Tim?

I have heard about carpers too, saying 10lb Tench in Yorkshire, however with very little proof.... I'm sure there is though Matt...

I ventured on to the Centre when I stopped catching anything on the South in my third year. I would save my holidays so that I could do Sunday to Wednesday for (give or take) six weeks through May and into June and with nobody to cajole me into it when it was tough going. The things you do for some fish!!

An hour’s far enough for me too these days, but according to carpers there are 10lb tench in loads of the Yorkshire gravel pits 😆

Your mate from Beverley didn’t move to Germany by any chance did he, Tim?
Matt; it’s a small world -yes he did. We are still in touch.

we fished together at Friday lake in the Lea valley and then at Sywell. Then both ended up in the Cotswold Water Park and fished together all the time for a few years before he moved to Germany. I’ve even fished with him over there.

I have heard about carpers too, saying 10lb Tench in Yorkshire, however with very little proof.... I'm sure there is though Matt...
Sure there are or think/hope there are, Jon??!! 😆
I bet there aren’t many places that regularly produces 8s to tench anglers who weigh them properly - but I hope I’m wrong!

Back