• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mechano time!!!

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
Has anyone looked At Korums new product range yet coming soon.

They’ve focused a lot on us float guys this time round with float boxes, more lines, meat cutters and something that caught my eye which was their tray tripod thing. Something like that I’d use a lot because I don’t particularly like standing in the water carrying everything on my person. This looks good!

However….. that tray is too big and it’s way over priced considering it doesn’t come with legs so…….. I sat there last night thinking I must have enough shit in my garage to make something better
I wasn’t wrong either.

Some bits are modified, some made, most of it just standard clippy type twisty stuff designed for other things.
IMG_2382.jpeg

Can you see how it’s going to work yet???
Read on ….

A solid stainless 3 point adapter is the order of the day and I want 2 points with adjustable angles and 1 point fixed (you’ll see why shortly
IMG_2383.jpeg

Obviously I’m not messing about with threads so quick connection on the bottom of the adapter and on the top of each long bank stick is added.
IMG_2384.jpeg

Buz bar……. Perfect
This will get my tray adapter fitted on one end and a height spacer the other.

Drill and tap both to take a butt grip (facing in the wrong direction.
IMG_2396.jpeg
IMG_2397.jpeg
IMG_2398.jpeg

That’s it!
It will remain like this and transported like this
IMG_2399.jpeg

Let’s throw her together, load her up and see where it takes us.

Back soon 😜

Ok so it’s no surprise I know already it’s going to work as I actually threw it together before typing.
IMG_2394.jpeg

IMG_2395.jpeg

Going back to the legs you can see I have 1 with a steep angle. That’s the down stream leg. So if the current is strong with that leg pointing down over is being forced into the ground and you have a much more stable pod. That will cope with anything I’m capable of standing in that’s for sure.

I’ll stand just behind that leg with everything conveniently to my left hand side (feeding hand)
Let’s load it up as I’ve got 3 pints of maggots in the fridge.
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2391.jpeg
IMG_2390.jpeg
IMG_2389.jpeg
IMG_2393.jpeg

Several options really for the net and/or the rod.
That’s going to make things more comfortable for me for sure…….. cheers Korum, great idea. 🤣

It looks brilliant Richard! Does it have the stability to hold firm in a solid flow? Would be a nightmare to glance across just in time to see it all tip into the river 😳

It looks brilliant Richard! Does it have the stability to hold firm in a solid flow? Would be a nightmare to glance across just in time to see it all tip into the river 😳
It’s going nowhere Alan. That’s the whole point of the steep angle on the 3rd leg. Point that leg down stream and there’s no way the river is going to turn that over.

Looks great Richard, well done. Not that I'm wishing it away, but with a 1 year old and 3 year old, I get very little time to tinker with setups etc. Just grab the gear and go as and when I can for the time being.

Nice one Rich, I've used something similar myself but on rocky bottomed Middle Severn swims I did experience some stability issues. I got around this by drilling into the bottom of the aluminium 'Tri-adaptor' block (bought in the late 70's or 80's IIRC) and screwing in a curtain hook. Then when I experienced any stability issues I hung a plastic bag of (river) water from that curtain hook. This added very little weight to the amount of tackle I took with me (basically the weight of a strong plastic bag) but added a lot of steadying weight to the tripod once bag was filled with water.

Nice one Rich, I've used something similar myself but on rocky bottomed Middle Severn swims I did experience some stability issues. I got around this by drilling into the bottom of the aluminium 'Tri-adaptor' block (bought in the late 70's or 80's IIRC) and screwing in a curtain hook. Then when I experienced any stability issues I hung a plastic bag of (river) water from that curtain hook. This added very little weight to the amount of tackle I took with me (basically the weight of a strong plastic bag) but added a lot of steadying weight to the tripod once bag was filled with water.
It’s a great idea Terry and certainly not going to be much effort for me to drill, tap, and fit a hook to this aswell.

However it would only be a useful addition to the pod being used in shallow water where there’s sufficient clearance to hang it.

I’ll often wade out as far as I can and I plan to occasionally have the river running just afew inches under that buzz bar.

I’ve given this a significant amount of force from the “upstream” side and it’s certainly going to deal with flows more powerful than I can safely stand In simply because the steep angle leg acts like a gusset and is driven hard into the floor when pressure from the other side is applied so it’s very sturdy and strong.
I’ve also got the angle adjustment on the other two legs allowing me to spread them further apart if i want and increase the stability with its footprint size.

A good test is obviously required for practical certainty but from what I’ve done so far, if the river is able to sweep that away, I doubt very much I’ll be standing in it.

Love it - fantastic bodgery! Knew there was a good use for that rubbish Korum buzz bar . . .

Q1 - Where do you get the 3 point adaptor from?
Q2 - Could the Korum tray clamp more centrally / directly onto the buzz bar itself (can the clamp be rotated horizontally?) to even out weight loading etc?

Nope!
I won’t have that. I don’t bodge anything 😜

The weight on this particular frame/tray is spot on. It supports everything I need on there ideally. Does not need to be changed

The tray rotates 360° and can be fitted to any of the threads on a 2 or 3 rod bar via a machined block I made myself years ago to make the tray fit a bank stick. I doubt very much you’ll have one.

Same with the spacer on the other end.
It’s not something your going to copy without making changes to suit the stuff you have.

The tripod adapter is an old stainless one. I think it might of been a carp one at one point not sure.

Back