• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Meat cutters

It’s 10 seconds in a meat cutter and every piece is exactly the same size. Something you can’t do with a knife.
Give them 10-15 seconds in boiling water afterwards and they’ll all sink at pretty much the same rate too. This is crucial if your using it as loose feed for trotting.
Really :oops:, Rich, you may be an expert at engineering. I'm very good with a knife. :)👍My other hobby is cooking.

Surely has to be less trouble using a knife without all that faff? Plus from one block of meat I can vary sizes for 'ook,
It’s not a faff Neil if you use it like I do. For example I might go float fishing and use only meat.
If I go to the nene and the chub are proper having it I will use 4-5 tins without breaking a sweat
The difference between catching 5 or 6 and 20-30 is in the loose offerings.
Consistency is (for me) absolutely everything.
Same amount in a pouch put on the same line at the same intervals and they must end up in the same area.
If I can do that I can pull in a nice competing shoal of fish before I have made the first cast.
getting meat right plays a huge part in my fishing but it might not be useful for everyone.

Unless you’re going to use loads of different sizes the map ones ain’t the best.
The blades after a while do crack and the sizes below 7mm ain’t great.
The Tilley cutter is so much better and more substantial. I wish I’d bought 2 of those instead. I still might when I break the next map blade.
Also don’t put the map one on a hot wash. It makes the plastic brittle after a while.
You just need to force the meat in at a steady pace 😃 Had mine a good 5 years now and no problems.

Surely has to be less trouble using a knife without all that faff? Plus from one block of meat I can vary sizes for 'ook,

It’s not a faff Neil if you use it like I do. For example I might go float fishing and use only meat.
If I go to the nene and the chub are proper having it I will use 4-5 tins without breaking a sweat
The difference between catching 5 or 6 and 20-30 is in the loose offerings.
Consistency is (for me) absolutely everything.
Same amount in a pouch put on the same line at the same intervals and they must end up in the same area.
If I can do that I can pull in a nice competing shoal of fish before I have made the first cast.
getting meat right plays a huge part in my fishing but it might not be useful for everyone.
Well I get it if you are using match tactics I guess.

Gonna give one of these a go.

1722417854608.png

While we are talking cheffy things...I have started making bread, it marks a great healthy eating bread and a good fishing bait.
500gm bread flour 7 gms yeast, tbsp salt and sugar 9.8 oz water. tbsp butter, spread or olive or any cooking oil.
Add yeast and sugar to warm water leave 10 mins.
Add liquid to dry ingredients in bowl and mix.
Empty dough to floured surface and knead for 10 mins. IMPORTANT.
Return to bowl cover and leave 2 hours to rise.
Knock back dough and place on baking tray or loaf tin leave to rise if you can but not essential .
Cook in preheated oven 200 C for 35 to 40 mins.
Add a bowl of water to base of oven to form a lovely crust.
I double up on ingredients and make 2 loaves and freeze one.
Cheap and great tasting plus a great chub bait.

I have the map one. 6mm is its limit and that’s a pain to get through as there is so many small slots at that size you have to get the plunger alignment spot on when pushing the meat through.

It’s brilliant for 7,8,10.
In hindsight i should have bought 2 x Tilly’s and be done with it. 1 for 6mm and 1 for half inch.
Those 2 sizes cover everything for me
I see a few Tilly ones on eBay, do you know if these are original or copies?

True, but the original uses high quality weir, I am just wondering if the copy has the same quality.
I don’t see it being any different Huanzhou and if it is, the wire breaks after afew uses and you replace it with some decent stainless trace wire for peanuts.

Products like this are often copied as they ain’t patented and when copied often they get improved on.
It’s not unusual for copies to be better than originals. The exception would be if the copies are substantially cheaper and mass produced in high volume in another country

These copies are no cheaper and still uk made so I wouldn’t worry at all about buying one.

Back