• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Meat cutters

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
Can anyone recommend a decent meat cutter for cubing small sizes. Was looking at the MAP one that can create cubes of 4,6,8 and 10mm….anyone have one? I’ll be using it mostly for loose feed mixed with hemp and groundbait in a feeder

There you go...

Can anyone recommend a decent meat cutter for cubing small sizes. Was looking at the MAP one that can create cubes of 4,6,8 and 10mm….anyone have one? I’ll be using it mostly for loose feed mixed with hemp and groundbait in a feeder
I have the map one. 6mm is its limit and that’s a pain to get through as there is so many small slots at that size you have to get the plunger alignment spot on when pushing the meat through.

It’s brilliant for 7,8,10.
In hindsight i should have bought 2 x Tilly’s and be done with it. 1 for 6mm and 1 for half inch.
Those 2 sizes cover everything for me

A few simple knife skills, takes minutes, just remember to tuck your thumb in 👍 Large tin of Spam, 4 or 6mm, 2-3 mins.
It’s 10 seconds in a meat cutter and every piece is exactly the same size. Something you can’t do with a knife.
Give them 10-15 seconds in boiling water afterwards and they’ll all sink at pretty much the same rate too. This is crucial if your using it as loose feed for trotting.

I have one and been using for about 5 years, works fine. Spare blades readily available too.

It’s 10 seconds in a meat cutter and every piece is exactly the same size. Something you can’t do with a knife.
Give them 10-15 seconds in boiling water afterwards and they’ll all sink at pretty much the same rate too. This is crucial if your using it as loose feed for trotting.
Didn’t know this, thanks

Didn’t know this, thanks
Yeah it makes a massive difference between feeding your line and establishing a “bite zone” and feeding miles down stream and having meat going down every where in random places.
The fat content makes meat very buoyant
Don’t boil your hook baits and don’t boil your loose feed too long. Just use a kettle, fill a tub. Give it ten seconds, give it a stir and you’ve improved your loose feed massively

I assume the MAP cutters would cut garlic sausage (below) if trimmed to fit?

1722344922783.png

Yeah it makes a massive difference between feeding your line and establishing a “bite zone” and feeding miles down stream and having meat going down every where in random places.
The fat content makes meat very buoyant
Don’t boil your hook baits and don’t boil your loose feed too long. Just use a kettle, fill a tub. Give it ten seconds, give it a stir and you’ve improved your loose feed massively
And don't tip the fat enriched water, down the drain, or you might need to get Dynorod out. Ideally warm the meat to at least room temperature to soften it, makes life a lot easier...

I went to buy some of the Korum ones from my local tackle shop and the owner told me there'd been a lot of complaints about the blades and suggested I get a MAP cutter (that he doesn't stock).
Haha had pretty much the same conversation in my local shop too, had a load back from cracking! Have just ordered the MAP one as advised

Haha had pretty much the same conversation in my local shop too, had a load back from cracking! Have just ordered the MAP one as advised
Unless you’re going to use loads of different sizes the map ones ain’t the best.
The blades after a while do crack and the sizes below 7mm ain’t great.
The Tilley cutter is so much better and more substantial. I wish I’d bought 2 of those instead. I still might when I break the next map blade.
Also don’t put the map one on a hot wash. It makes the plastic brittle after a while.

Back