• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maui Jim Sunglasses

I've got the Offshores. They are very good and have the side lenses. I got them with the darker lenses, I'd recomend that you get them with an amber lense if possible as the dark ones can be a little too dark.

Haydn

Coincidentally I've just advertised my pair in the classifieds as I now have prescription sunglasses

The amber ones are possibly slighty better for fish spotting in low light conditions, although the grey are much more suited to all round conditions and wearing as casual sunglasses when not fishing

Cheers
Jas

Last edited:
Hmm. Try the Rusty Fish online sunglasses-seller (Bristol-based) for umpteen models at £10 to £30 tops. If you have a half-decent eye for a fish, you'll find they do nicely; they do for me.

I bought some Maui Jim's when on holiday in the States. Where I accept that cheap polaroids (Snowbee's especially) will do a job, I find that the MJ's are a lot more restful on the eyes, especially in bright conditions.

I've got the Sport model and they are excellent. I've let other people use them when fish spotting and they reckon that they are better than their cheapies.

I know they may be a little more expensive than your average 'cheapie' .But i believe you get what you pay for, and if you have pretty sensitive eyes (as i do) then i think spending a little extra is justified. Just need to know which model to go for. I think the lens choice is between the grey and amber.... edging towards the amber i think.
Any frame suggestions?
think i'll go for something like this
http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/s...601_10001_10231_-1_17621_17621_N__1__#reviews

Last edited:
Sadly my supplier has moved on, I used to get them at about 40% of advertised price and used to get them for BFW members. If you know someone who plays golf and is able to get discount from the pro shop then that should be your first call. With any discount they will be cheaper than direct sales or from the tackle shops.
One warning though, THEY DO NOT FLOAT. Straps are needed.
Mine are Ka'anapali 501-02 Gunmetal Polarised. A good tight fit and great lens.
Dave

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have first hand experience of sports sunglasses with prescription inserts?

Cheers, Declan

I have Maui Jim sunglasses and think they are excellent, purchased some from someone off this site who’s name I can’t remember.
I wear mine as normal sunglasses as well as fishing glasses and find them so easy on your eyes.
Andy

I know they may be a little more expensive than your average 'cheapie' .But i believe you get what you pay for, and if you have pretty sensitive eyes (as i do) then i think spending a little extra is justified. Just need to know which model to go for. I think the lens choice is between the grey and amber.... edging towards the amber i think.
Any frame suggestions?
think i'll go for something like this
http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/s...601_10001_10231_-1_17621_17621_N__1__#reviews

Wouldn'T go for that frame looks like they might let to much light in,
I would go for the offshore, more of a wrap around frame, I got mine a bargain off eBay for £35 but i was very lucky.http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/s...11601&storeId=10001&productId=10269&langId=-1

Hi All, I have the Turtle Bay model, bought from Dave Johnson, and I rate them as really very good for fishing. The shape of the lense reduces greatly the amount of light entering from the side and enables better viewing because of it.
Expensive glasses, but it is easy to see why.

I got a pair of Maui Jims off Dave. He said you can see reds better with amber lenses ideal for barbel's fins. The only red fins I see is when barbel is in landing net as where I tend to fish water is cloudy most of time...:eek:. Nice glasses though.

Back