• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Marco Cortesi screw modification

Peter Robinson

I have a question for anyone with tool making skills.
How difficult would it be to make a knurled screw to replace the Phillips that retains the spool on Marco Cortesi reels.It would save the bother of carrying a screwdriver to detach the spool on those occasions when the line goes down the back of the spool.If it is viable,I'm sure there are plenty of Cortesi users who would welcome such a modification.Also what would be an approximate cost.
Regards
Pete.

Hi Pete

I'm looking at doing this myself after recently experiencing internal line winding :)

The screw itself is M4 x 1cm although I think the thread female goes deeper than that into the spindle.

I've decided to try a thumb screw I found on e-bay with the same dimensions to see if it works.

Although the screw head itself is plastic I just want to see if it's functional as I'm not interested in retaining aesthetics - especially on budget reel such as the MC.

Anyway I've ordered the same and will report back here if it works for me.

regards
Russ

I should point out that the thread is actually M5. If it works I'll post some pics here and a link to the screw itself.
Russ

thought m4 was a bit small.....anyone tried "screwfix" :rolleyes:

So, I plumped for one of these in the end...

6 x M5 Thread x 15mm Male Wing Knobs / Thumb Screws | eBay

It works remarkably well and being a wing type head is very easy to remove, which I'm hoping is going to be a bonus in cold weather/freezing finger type situations.

As I said earlier, I'm not especially interested in aesthetics on such a budget reel but if if you'd prefer something maybe a little less clunky and more of a rounded knurled knob then I'd suggest looking at something like these links from Automotion Components - one of them is even metal throughout. Just remember that the thread needs to be M5 and not much longer than 10mm.

P1064 - Stainless Thumb Screws - Thumb Screws - Mechanical - Automotion Components

P1040 - Plastic Head Thumb Screws - Thumb Screws - Mechanical - Automotion Components

P1048 - Steel Thumb Screws - Thumb Screws - Mechanical - Automotion Components

NB - The plastic type heads will not scratch the domed metal cover/washer that sits over the bearing under the screw - I'm not sure if the same can be said of the metal-only component.

regards
Russ

Last edited:
Hi Russ,
Thanks for doing the leg work,your fix sounds ideal.Your info will no doubt help out plenty of fellow Cortesi users,am ordering mine tomorrow.
Regards
Pete.;)

Back