• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

March 2012 Fish of the Month Sponsored by Pallatrax

Please vote for your favourite:

• Loddon 14lb 7oz

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Thames 15lb 7oz

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Hampshire Avon 14lb

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Goyt 13lb 3oz

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Hampshire Avon 15lb 9oz

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Wandle 12lb 8oz (RR)

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Derbyshire Derwent 15lb 9oz(RR)

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • Dove 15lb 9oz

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I'm still play catch-up with the BFW FOTM competition...

Here are the nominations for the March 2012 Fish of the Month competition. Don't forget to add the weight of your fish to your gallery entries to ensure they're eligible for the competition. I don't include fish stated simply as 'double', even though they're obviously potential winners.

Many thanks to Pallatrax who offer a fantastic prize to the winner every month.

slim1.jpg

4f5505ce01c36.jpg

Loddon 14lb 7oz

4f5f6e39dba88.jpg

Thames 15lb 7oz

4f63bff68eef5.jpg

Hampshire Avon 14lb

4f6477abea67f.jpg

Goyt 13lb 3oz

4f68646ac5aab.jpg

Hampshire Avon 15lb 9oz

4f68cfb943e54.jpg

Wandle 12lb 8oz (RR)

4f7ad058b26ed.jpg

Derbyshire Derwent 15lb 9oz(RR)

4f99b4107f13f.jpg

Dove 15lb 9oz

I dithered a little :D, but it has to be the Thames fish i think, well done to the captor.

Ian.

I dithered too, but went for the Wandle fish.

That is such a big fish for such a small stream, I know it is not the biggest on the list but well done to the captor for playing it around the shopping trolleys and motorway cones.:)

Wandle fish for me too,I Fish the River a lot as it backs on to my Sister"s house. I have never had a fish out over 8lb. And theres no way i would fish there after dark. Great fish and a River Record well done.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Tempting though it was to vote for the handsome chap holding the Loddon fish ;) . It's between the Derwent and Wandle fish for me. Wandle by a whisker. :D

There are some crackers there, that Dove one gives the swim away nicely:D

That's not the only one to do that Ade...I fished the swim on the Hampshire Avon where he is displaying that 15.09 fish the last time I was there. There's not a regular, or even an occasional Royalty fisher, who won't recognise that swim :p

As for my choice this time....it has to be the Wandle fish for me. To catch a fish of that size from a tiny river that suffers sooooo much abuse...is almost miraculous.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I was in about 5 minds on this one too! :) I went with the Goyt fish in the end though. It's a remarkably clean and healthy looking fish.Hardly a mark on it by the looks of things!! Well done to all captors though! :D

They are all good fish and in the end decided on the Wandle fish .

I agree Joe, in the end, it comes down to what matters most to the individual, doesn't it? What the criteria used for judging this competition is...because I think each individual judges it based on their own thoughts, rather than the rules. If you give your vote to the fish that looks the best, or for the quality of the photograph, or purely on size of the fish irrespective of the river it came from....then the Wandle fish probably won't win.

However, if you judge each on merit based on the river the fish came from, then the sheer difficulty of catching a fish of that magnitude from a tiny river running through an inner city area, with all the massive pollutions it has suffered year in, year out since Adam was a boy (including several incidents just recently) then the Wandle fish has to be a serious contender in ANY competition of this nature. Good luck to the fella :)

Cheers, Dave.

I agree Joe, in the end, it comes down to what matters most to the individual, doesn't it? What the criteria used for judging this competition is...because I think each individual judges it based on their own thoughts, rather than the rules. If you give your vote to the fish that looks the best, or for the quality of the photograph, or purely on size of the fish irrespective of the river it came from....then the Wandle fish probably won't win.

However, if you judge each on merit based on the river the fish came from, then the sheer difficulty of catching a fish of that magnitude from a tiny river running through an inner city area, with all the massive pollutions it has suffered year in, year out since Adam was a boy (including several incidents just recently) then the Wandle fish has to be a serious contender in ANY competition of this nature. Good luck to the fella :)

Cheers, Dave.

Have to agree with you Dave , As the girl friend once told me , Its not all ways about size :D

Tempted by the Loddon fish but terrible pose and in need of a shave (the angler, not the barbel, mind you he normally needs a shave :))

Votes for the Thames fish, a 15 is a very rare fish from Old Father.

Back