• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

making paste

David Pearce

hi guys
i have got some boilies i want to blend down and make into a paste.
not really sure if i should use eggs or water and what the difference is?
i wanted to make a batch up that i can freeze and use now all through the winter.
any advice would be appreciated:D

egg will slow the rate of paste break down, water will speed it up

try making a little of each and seeing which you prefer?

i use egg mostly.

David Pearce,

Not sure as to what boilies your using but can't you contact the manufacturer & either get some ready made paste or get some of the boilie dry mix (& flavourings/additives) & make your own (very simple). Its very rare that manufacturers don't cater for a number of bait types within a range.

You'll loose/dilute some of the pulling power by blending & then adding something else that has not much attraction ie the egg or water.

Cheers, Jon

try egg replacer which you mix with water or use something like vitamelo again with water, this is a calf milk replacer which has excellant binding properties and will "skin" you baits

egg replacer you can get from any supermarket and is well cheap

Other option is get some pellets add flavours, oils, colour etc, give um a good ole shake in a sealed tub, cover with boiling water - i have a seperate kettle for this and only use rainwater,leave to soak up - result a nice paste that you can use, takes a while and a wee bit of experimenting to get the consitency how you want. Then squeeze into what ever sized lumps you want and use or freeze as required

Simples:)

Agree with Steve. Regarding the pellet paste (a sure winner too imo), before addition of water (for me hot rather than boiling), I grind them up in a 'short bladed' blender to a finer powder - I find it binds that little bit better.

Again its a personal choice but one could add the likes of a bit of betaine & minamino (or equivalent). CC Moores have a good range of bits to boost.

Cheers, Jon

Have to agree with Jon here, as the boilie is originally made from boiled paste, any grinding and re-mixing will massively dilute the original flavour, etc.....and also massively reduce the quality of the bait, even to the point where it could become dangerous to the fish!!

You would be far better either soaking the original boilies to soften and re-activate them or starting from scratch with a paste or basemix...........

What is described in terms of pellet paste, I would describe as scalded pellets and would tend more to use this as a method feed rather than a paste, it will breakdown quickly.

yep Ian I agree but the scolded pellet way is an easy way to introduce someone to paste and flavour combos etc and is more female friendly then p'ing about in her domain with squid and octi, cheese etc flavours and various fishmeal blends or so my ex wifey said :)

Back