• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mainline for Trent

Depends how rocky it is Paul. GR60 or what I use GT 80 both Gardener are ultra tough IME.

SS PowerPro is great line and I use it as hooklink but never longer than 2ft.
Hi Graham

gunner be fishing the Trent for 48 hours next month it’s gunner be for there I have that on reels now but am think is worth putting mono back on for the trip never fished it before

Hi Graham

gunner be fishing the Trent for 48 hours next month it’s gunner be for there I have that on reels now but am think is worth putting mono back on for the trip never fished it before
if you got 35lb braid on your reels already simply get just over twice the length of the rod 25lb amnesia leader this will cope with the rocks and give a tiny bit more give at the final netting stage and of course your hook link should be the weakest link

And if you did want to put mono on IMHO the best would be ESP SYNCRO XT ( but not the loaded version ) 15lb for the Tidal with up to 6 to 8ozs leads at times and chances of big carp and 18 plus barbel by the way the XT stands for Extra tough apparently and it truly is in this case you do get what you pay for

Last edited:
if you got 35lb braid on your reels already simply get just over twice the length of the rod 25lb amnesia leader this will cope with the rocks and give a tiny bit more give at the final netting stage and of course your hook link should be the weakest link

And if you did want to put mono on IMHO the best would be ESP SYNCRO XT ( but not the loaded version ) 15lb for the Tidal with up to 6 to 8ozs leads at times and chances of big carp and 18 plus barbel by the way the XT stands for Extra tough apparently and it truly is in this case you do get what you pay for
Ive used esp olive carp line for the last probably 10 years after recommendation from a decent angler and never had a problem, was usually a tenner for 1000yrds ,got a bit left,wouldn't surprise me if it was the same esp stuff now just re badged and double the price!!!

when i was carping on the Trent i used 30lb Powerpro with no problems - the finer diameter meant i could use lighter leads

had no problem even at Dunham, lol

Think my reels have about 175 yard of braid then backed with mono would this be a problem on Trent or would 175 yards be ok not sure on the casting distance I will be

Think my reels have about 175 yard of braid then backed with mono would this be a problem on Trent or would 175 yards be ok not sure on the casting distance I will be
Paul

175 yds of braid is enough for any water in the UK regardless of species

people waste huge amounts of money filling 'bucket spools' with huge quantities of line that will never see daylight

i still 'reverse' the braid on my spools - when the front section gets well used i just strip off all the line and reload with the used braid at the back of the spool - best done on say a playing field where you can walk the line out

Paul

175 yds of braid is enough for any water in the UK regardless of species

people waste huge amounts of money filling 'bucket spools' with huge quantities of line that will never see daylight

i still 'reverse' the braid on my spools - when the front section gets well used i just strip off all the line and reload with the used braid at the back of the spool - best done on say a playing field where you can walk the line out
Was thinking that nick thanks

U generally get a 300 yd spool and split it between 2 reels, annually swap ot round too.

14 lb Korum mono. The stetch, abrasion resistance and power to get fish in fast for me. Doesn't break the bank as well.

Back