• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggot feeders

Jameel Khan

I fished the Trent a couple of weeks back , clearly maggot was the way forward . Only had 4oz maggot feeders with me and although i caught i struggled to hold bottom . Anyone know as to where i might get feeders 5 to 6 oz from ? .

Fiskys feeders are great, I have them in 6 and 8oz. However with the korum feeders you can glue on lead with the brown Gorilla glue. I make my own open end feeders and with the leads I have, glueing works for me.

The one really annoying thing about Korum's decision to reissue their "river" feeders last year is that they (unbelievably!) dropped the best feature of their Mk1 versions which was that they were block-end!!! Perfect for for maggot/caster fishing without the necessity for groundbait at both ends thus providing extra room for the bait inside!! Surprisingly short sighted for a normally innovative company.

I fished the Trent a couple of weeks back , clearly maggot was the way forward . Only had 4oz maggot feeders with me and although i caught i struggled to hold bottom . Anyone know as to where i might get feeders 5 to 6 oz from ? .
Biggest Korum combi feeder is 4.2oz but you can add half oz cow leads into the holes to pimp them up in heavier flows . . .do like these but the elastic that holds the ends on always perishes eventually meaning a fiddly power gum replacement . . .

I just use black cap feeders with cow lead add ons, if you add 5oz lead to a 50g feeder it will hold in most situations, especially if cast upstream.

Richard Issacs👍
Sorry not for me. Did a couple and far too much messing about when getting involved with caps. Plus imo cages make crap maggot feeders. Superb for groundbait, pellets paste and bread but far too many escape points for maggots so you tape them up which defeats the object of making nice ones in the first place.
Buy some film canisters and whop some lead flashing to the back. Job done.
I only make open ended cages and that’s been put on hold for a bit now anyway

I use Drennan Oval feeders with added lead via small screws and the very convenient plastic 'holes/fixing points'. My process is not technically difficult or pretty 😏 Simply melt some CLEAN lead (very important to the finished product) and pour into a shallow baking tray to a depth depending on how much you want the finished leads to weigh. When it's cool cut into the required oblong shape corresponding to the shape of the feeder to which it is going to be attached. Attach to feeder using self tappers, job done. By choosing the Drennan Oval feeders you get a cheap, low profile heavy feeder that won't roll out of position and if necessary you can remove the additional lead in seconds if a lighter feeder is needed.
Happy to post pics if needed ;)

Back