• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

maggot feeder on lower severn

Mario Tucci

Senior Member & Supporter
hi not tried using maggots for barbel and chub on lower severn just down stream of worcester would it be a worth while approach in end october

If you don't mind catching bream then yes, why not. Maggots are one of the baits barbel (and all other species unfortunately) will take all year round.

Nuisance fish are always the problem with maggots and casters as hook baits.
Consider using imitation baits on relatively long hairs and sit on your hands.
You’ll get plucks on the rod top all day as the bait peckers investigate your offering but mr barbel won’t pluck.
Just keep the real bait going in so that they make the mistake and suck the imitation bait in with confidence

Actually imo well worth a go. Of course you will get the odd nuisance fish, but any interruption in the boredom might be welcome . Any feed going in on a regular basis will attract fish, including Barbel. I would look to mount 4 or more maggots on a 10 hook just to keep it a bit specci lol. Bream will be your biggest obstacle. But keep going any barbel around should be tempted. Maggot feeder is accounting for a few barbs at the moment.

Use a baitdropper or spopper and put a couple of pints of maggots or casters in and half a pint of hemp. Leave the swim for a few hours, then another pint of maggots/casters in, leave it another hour before putting another dropper in and casting in for the first time. The key is absolute accuracy and keeping it tight. And resisting the urge to cast in too soon.

I fill my feeder half maggots and half hemp. And I'll avoid recasting for at least an hour.

I think casters have the edge while its a little milder, when the temps drop then maggots.

Maggots are my bait of choice on the WAvon pretty much from now onwards - I fish my standard 4' combi rig but with a large hook (Krank X Size 6) with a plastic maggot line aligner over the hook eye so its 'always' fishing. Carefully put 5-7 live maggots direct on the hook, usually red/white/red/white and in combination with a large Korum combi feeder for the first 4-6 chucks to get a decent bit of bait in, recasting every 15-20mins. Then swop over to one of Mr Isaacs superb maggot feeders and extend the time in the water to about 30-40mins as the leakage is a lot slower.

Bigger hook generally deters nuisance fish but chub will snatch it occasionally; barbel bites are generally wrap arounds . . . always cover maggots with a good dose of turmeric and a small amount of fine fishmeal powder (carpers habit)

Agree with lots that's been said..BUT with one exception.
If you are tempted to use a long hooklink, in pushing water, using a maggot feeder, expect sometimes to get a few strange shaky tip movements and the odd firmer one that yanks the tip around.

On any strike.....

If these result in the maggots being untouched on the retrieve........

Think out what's happening and make the necessary change😉

These are the best maggot feeders I've found:

"Maggots Feeder | Catalogo Tubertini" https://www.tubertini.it/en/catalogo/prodotto/maggots-feeder-id1753/

You may have to source them from an overseas supplier though. Glasgow Angling centre had them in stock about 7 years ago and I think I bought all their stock for me and my pals. They also did 120g which were ideal for the Middle Trent. And a 170g which I'm told are ideal on the Tidal.

The ability to adjust the hole size in invaluable as the session progresses. I darken mine up with permanent maker and adapted it to an enterprise snag safe run ring.

Nothing wrong with the Drennans Graham, except they don't produce them heavy enough for my needs on big rivers or heavy flows, so you have to add lead to the back, or dead cows to the sides.

Being able to adjust the holes size on the Tubertinis in an instant gives more flexibility when your on the bank.

The drennans aren't that cheap either are they?

"Maggots Feeder | Catalogo Tubertini" https://www.tubertini.it/en/catalogo/prodotto/maggots-feeder-id1753/

You may have to source them from an overseas supplier though. Glasgow Angling centre had them in stock about 7 years ago and I think I bought all their stock for me and my pals. They also did 120g which were ideal for the Middle Trent. And a 170g which I'm told are ideal on the Tidal.

The ability to adjust the hole size in invaluable as the session progresses. I darken mine up with permanent maker and adapted it to an enterprise snag safe run ring.
Decent range of weights on them Joe.
Uncommon in maggot feeders to go up past 3-4oz
I’m not one for this low profile rubbish personally I’d rather the extra capacity in the feeder. 10mm on the height above the river bed makes no odds at all. They do look bloody useful though in proper weights

Nothing wrong with the Drennans Graham, except they don't produce them heavy enough for my needs on big rivers or heavy flows, so you have to add lead to the back, or dead cows to the sides.

Being able to adjust the holes size on the Tubertinis in an instant gives more flexibility when your on the bank.

The drennans aren't that cheap either are they?
I guess the fact in flows where I would need more weight I find a bit of water that's easier.
Usually down the side somewhere. Fish like those bits usually. And more suited to my fishing style Joe.

Korum Combi feeders are good and go up to 4.2oz - they can be easily taped to control release and the holes are also big enough to take 'flanking' cow leads to add another oz+ or so; only design fault is the elastic that holds the caps in place as this perishes far too easily meaning fiddly powergum replacements. Without blowing too much smoke Mr Issacs solution is superior, especially in terms of loading with the easy flip cap canister - just need some 5,6,7,8oz Flood / Trent variants!

Korum also do a river version in 5.2oz - caps are now supplied separately as they must have realised how crap the elastic is!

Last edited:
fished below worcester today two rods one meat the other with maggot feeder fed constantly with maggots i had two chub three big bream and few roach one decent one but no barbel again not touch on meat

fished below worcester today two rods one meat the other with maggot feeder fed constantly with maggots i had two chub three big bream and few roach one decent one but no barbel again not touch on meat
If you haven’t seen them; there are a couple of good videos on the Cadence website about fishing round Upton.

I've had and gone back to Paul Fisks maggot feeders they are excellent quality, tough, Trent proof and in weights up to 8ounce.

I've had and gone back to Paul Fisks maggot feeders they are excellent quality, tough, Trent proof and in weights up to 8ounce.
Does he do them upto 8oz now Phil? I use them on the Trent, great maggot feeders👍but I thought it used to be 6oz

Back